Windows 10 – 5 Safety Features That Make Us Want to Upgrade

If your computer runs Windows 7 or 8, you likely noticed something different on the bottom right side of your computer screen recently. What you may have noticed is the icon for Windows 10, due out at the end of this month. And while Windows 8 was just a tad, shall we say, underwhelming, this newest Windows incarnation seems to hit all the targets that its predecessor missed, including addressing many security concerns. Let’s take a look at 5 security features that make Windows 10 a game changer when it comes to your safety.

1. Two-Factor Authentication – Safety in Numbers

In today’s ever-expanding world of hackers and cyber criminals, multi-factor authentication is not only a smart idea; it’s also becoming the bottom line in basic security practices. With this reality in mind, Windows 10 is rolling out two features (one new and one enhanced) to protect user privacy: Windows Hello and the updated Windows Passport. Windows Hello incorporates a two-factor approach to access information. Users will be able to utilize their device as one authentication element and a PIN number or biometric element such as a fingerprint or iris scan as the other. The updated Windows Passport will take this nifty feature one step further by allowing those same elements to be used for access across the entire Windows ecosystem, eliminating the need for all-too-easy-to-hack passwords. Using a multi-factor approach makes hacking a private system or network exponentially more difficult, and that’s great news for PC users.

2. Device Guard – Your Antivirus Right-Hand Man

Device Guard is Windows 10’s way of deciding whether an app or file is trustworthy or whether it contains some sort of malware. As each file or app is called upon to run, Windows 10 does some quick (and by that we mean ridiculously fast) calculations to determine if that program is one you want to be opening. If there is any reason to suspect that the program presents a danger, the user will be alerted. It’s then up to the user to decide whether or not to run the executable. In an interview earlier this year, Microsoft’s Chris Hallum stated that this feature is designed to work in tandem with antivirus programs. According to Hallum, “Traditional AV (antivirus) solutions and app control technologies will be able to depend on Device Guard to help block executable and script-based malware while AV will continue to cover areas that Device Guard doesn’t such as JIT based apps (e.g., Java) and macros within documents.” This makes Device Guard a great addition to your anti-virus protection.

3. Separating Work and Play – In the Name of Safety

Do you bring your own device (BYOD) to work on a regular basis? If so, then you are probably well acquainted with the risks involved in using the same device for work and leisure. To help back you up, Windows 10 has a cool “on-the-fly” encryption feature called proactive Data Loss Prevention to make sure your corporate data storage is iron-clad. Windows 10 will intuitively detect what is work-related and encrypt that information using an enhanced version of BitLocker, Microsoft’s disk encryption feature. Anything it deems as work-related is put into a more secure portal.

4. Introducing Edge Microsoft’s New (and Safe!) Browser

Edge is the new browser from Microsoft that will be released with Windows 10 . The Edge, formerly code named Project Spartan, is designed with security at its core, perhaps to make up for the spectacular security failings of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer. Edge will allow users to use their Windows Passport to access websites instead of passwords, one step towards making those pesky eight-character codes obsolete. Moreover, Edge won’t support any ActiveX updates, which is a popular entry point for malware and viruses. It will run in sandbox mode, which pretty much means it will be an entity unto itself, making it harder for it to be corrupted by malware.

5. Automatic Antivirus Update – For Safety’s Safe

Keeping your antivirus up to date is critical for ensuring that it works properly. After all, if your antivirus doesn’t refer to a database of the most recently discovered viruses, bots and malware, how can it possibly protect you from them? The installation process of Windows 10 remedies this issue by ensuring that the most recent version of your antivirus is running. During the upgrade process, Windows 10 will uninstall your current antivirus and preserve the settings. After the upgrade is finished, Windows 10 will install the newest available version of your antivirus, along with your preferred settings. If your antivirus subscription has expired, Microsoft’s own Windows Defender will be installed. This means that if your antivirus wasn’t up-to-date prior to your Windows 10 upgrade, it will be afterwards, as long as your antivirus provider is Windows 10 compatible. (Rest easy. If you’re using any ZoneAlarm security product, the latest version will be fully compatible.)

Our Windows 10 Conclusion – Great at a Glance

If Windows 10 really delivers on all these expectations, there will be a lot to love about this new operating system. But as any savvy consumer knows, if something seems too good to be true, well, it very well might be. So stay tuned to see how all these new features, enhancements and updates work out. In the meantime, while you mull over whether or not to upgrade to Windows 10, don’t forget to keep sight of your information in your current Operating System. Be vigilant about using hard-to-crack passwords, use a top-notch antivirus program and make sure it updates regularly.

Will you be upgrading to Windows 10? Let us know why or why not!

Recommended for you

38 comments on “Windows 10 – 5 Safety Features That Make Us Want to Upgrade

• NUSSBAUMER Christophe says:

Well, this Windows 10 seems attractive, yes !
    But I have not yet reached the certainty that my machine has the needed capacity to run this new OS.

• Wayne Pedelty says:

From the information presented in the above article, it appears that Windows 10 is almost ‘all encompassing’.
    My question is, why does Windows 10, Mozilla Firefox’, or other internet browsers, not include a comprehensive anti virus, anti malware, function within its list of features?
    Is it because providers like Zone Alarm, McAfee, et al, would be rendered redundant?

• You might ask yourself, as indeed I do, ” How much is free”. Sure no money is requested, but nobody spends a lot of money on a product, then gives it away for free without getting some return. If MS come out upfront and tell me what they are getting from me, I’m probably in. But if I have to guess, then I’ll fear the worst.

• Thanks Zone Alarm for this Win 10 info (and for protecting my PCs for well over 10 years). I will be loading Win 10 onto a “non critical” win 7 machine as soon as it is offered to me, but keeping it away from my “mission critical” Win 8.1 unit until it proves itself to me.

• I’ve always believed that Windows or the OS should have a built-in anti-virus. There’s no need for “bio-metrics” to log into – that’s just a front for fool-proof surveillance on individuals – they know when there are intrusions and where those intruders are coming from – why aren’t the intruders ever nailed and prosecuted?

Otherwise, Windows 10 sounds good, except for “Hello” – no thanks – that hellish word was coined just for marketing the patent-stolen telephone (that Alexander Bell’s father-in-law-lawyer and the US Postal Office had stolen from Eiljah Gray through his US patent examiner), infact telecommunications started on that terrible hack and its about time we end the corp-monopoly/cash-cow (stockless commodity) and criminal gov’t that allows it! . . . . that and no bio-metrics!

• Gary Hutton says:

I used Microsoft XP and loved it, upgraded to Vista which performed poorly, quickly upgraded to Windows 7 and it has performed very well. Yes I will upgrade to Windows 10 but if I do not like it I will go back to Windows 7.

• Brad Grozik says:

Yes. I will try Win 10 for a time to see if it is suitable. If not,I do like Windows 7, and will drop back if required. Supported or not Windows 7 has worked very well for me. Windows 8 is just not what I seek so it was eliminated very quickly. And a Thank You for Zone Alarms excellent protection, Cheers!

• Kenneth Betz says:

I like a lot of others stayed with XP forever and when PC had to be replaced forced to go to W 7. Like it OK, but want to know if I get W 10 and don’t like it, how do I go back to W 7? If that possibility exists, then yes I will try W 10.

• Sam Craxford says:

Windows 10 on my second PC – if I am allowed to wait for the shakedown period to end. Then revert to 7 if necessary, otherwise consider 10 for my main PC. I still wonder how much this free OS will actually cost. Will we pay per year, or per “upgrade” or per some other criteria?

• ZoneAlarm says:

According to Microsoft, the free upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows 7, 8, and 8.1) will free until July 29, 2016. So no rush, really.

• Margaret Dixon says:

Am considering 10 as I now use 8.1, which I quite like now I have got used to it. But my main concern is, is it compatable with Kaspersky.

• Outlook Express says:

I will upgrade when they release a version of outlook express for the later operating systems. I prefer to store my own email, than k you very much.

• Carlos Ramirez says:

It sounds great that MS is updating their OS to stay up with the times. The two step authentication is greatly needed in an industry where hackers stay one step ahead of the changes as for Edge; we will see how it works. The jury still out on some of the worse OS that MS has come out such Millenium and Vista. I use Windows 8 and the only issue I have is finding the Start Button, I know that 8.1 fixed that issue but I refused to paid $100 bucks to get that feature. Windows 10 is supposed to be free… hmmm I have to read the fine print to see what freedom I am giving up for a free program.

• Upgraded to Windows 10 home this AM and unfortunately, can NOT use ZoneAlarm Extreme. CheckPoint should make sure their software is out of Beta before saying it will be ready.

• Bart O`Farrell says:

I have update to wIndows 10. from Windows 7.
    Zone Alarm has disappeared.
    No trace, anywhere.
    Where are you?
    Are you still there?

• Hi Bart. Our 2016 product line (which will be compatible with Windows 10) will be released later this week. In the meantime, you can download the ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 2016 beta ( which will be recognized by Windows 10, and will protect you until the upgrade is released.

• The real reason Win 10 is *free* is it comes with Cortana, MS’s answer to Siri and OK Google. Since it listens in on everything you say, in order to *enhance* your computing experience, I consider this to be a major security risk, that is being overlooked.
    I have no idea what MS is doing for security for Cortana, even if its communications with the Cloud are secure. Guess we will find out.
    MS says you can turn Cortana off, but it is a convoluted process.
    I’ve also heard dual-boot is going to be difficult, because UEFI will now require certificates.
    This might not be a problem with Ubuntu, but what about lesser used OS’s?
    As it stands, I am still trying to boot up Ubuntu off a flash with Win 8.1, with no success and that’s before this UEFI fix is put in!

• clifford cuellar says:

I will try Win10 on second PC to evaluate application compatibility. With MS’s record on gen 0 OSs, will wait for initial round of upgrades and program compatibility issues. Will then decide on definite upgrade decision.

• Simon Myall says:

No I will not personally be ‘upgrading’ to windows 10. We’ve installed it on one machine at work and having read Microsoft’s Security Policy where they say they will gather data on keylogging and files opened, and then sell some of it to 3rd parties I am not impressed.

This seems like corporate espionage by the backdoor, and with no way to opt out (something they could easily over-ride with a patch) I do not feel confident about using it. Also, how does this square with the UK’s and Europe’s Data Protection Acts?

I do quite like the look of it, but it’s very resource hungry and our machine often hangs while Windows thinks about what its doing. In addition it took several tech-savvy IT guys to figure out how to change some of the settings, for instance printer sharing on a network.