I thought I’d share my experience with past problems trying to log into Gmail, where it seemed to hang and continually loop instead of loading my inbox.
It’s hard to know what’s causing problems like this – the browser, the Gmail service itself, other software? In one case I found the answer in Gmail’s help: It was my ZoneAlarm blocking an unallowed site (Gmail).
The solution: I simply needed to add Gmail (or rather mail.google.com) to my site list in ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.
It takes just a second to fix this for Gmail and other sites you log into often, so you can permanently allow cookies to be set and avoid problems logging into your accounts.
In ZoneAlarm Pro or Internet Security Suite:
- Click the Privacy tab on the left.
- Click the Site List tab at the top
- Click the Add button
- Add mail.google.com
- Click the ‘X’ under ‘Persistent Cookie Control’ for ‘mail.google.com.’
- Set the cookie control to ‘Allowed.’ It will become a green checkmark.
- Clear your browser’s cache, and log in to Gmail.
I recommend also reading Gmail help in case it gets updated with other info about this issue. Here’s what the screen looks like after you’re all set up: