My tvDebug.log file has become large enough that it has zipped itself. It is too large for me to open in any of the programs I have attempted. The size is about 1 gig. :eek:
What is this file?
What is it used for?
What is my proper handling and/or configuration for this file and its maintenance for size control? :confused:
Please try to provide answers not requiring command prompt unless they are very specific and step wise. I am unfamiliar with command prompt and wish to avoid problems.
Thanks for your help and guidance. :D
Here is a Clue to several Solutions..
Use the Forum "SEARCH" function..
search for: tvDebug.log
I tried the search before posting to no avail. (I hope I didn't have a typo problem.) I'll try your links, but I think they are unavailable because I use Zone Alarm Free.
What big city are you near? I lived in the greater Houston area for about thirty years.
Originally Posted by tellmeaboutit
When the user does not provide Basic information , What Type and Version of ZA, What Version of Windows, Laptop or Desktop Computer, etc,
It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
abnormal size of logs points to conflicts behind the scene in the system (third party software or drivers) overcharging the vsmon driver filtering.
Turning OFF the logs remove the symptoms but not the cause.
Setting debug to off and restarting ZAlarm does the trick.
Just for your information. :)
you can stop the TVdebug from growing by turning it off. Hit Ctrl/Shift and right click on the ZA icon , click on set debug level and click the off button and reboot .
FYI, I l.ve between SA and AUS..
I thought the question was generic enough to address without system specifics. I guess I should know better by now.
Windows XP Home SP3
Zone Alarm Free v220.127.116.11
Since my last post, I have deleted the tvDebug.log zipped file and another file of the same name through Safe Mode.
Regarding the cause, I'm thinking a problem with McAfee may have been the source. After removing McAfee I found some remnants that needed to be removed. I found the excessively large file after getting rid of the last remnants. A file that took an excessively long time to move during defrag gave me the clue to look for the log file.
I'm going to leave debug active for now and see if it grows too fast and large for my liking. That may give me some more troubleshooting.
If my understanding is correct, the log file exists to aid in technical support issues. For this reason I have unchecked the box for Zone Alarm logs in Ccleaner. In retrospect I am wondering if this could be contributing to the excessive size. I'll check the box and allow Ccleaner to clean the files to check it out.
I had the mindset that saving the files would be helpful in the event of problems, but since I have encountered none to date I'll let Ccleaner do its thing.
Your area of Tx is beautiful. I've traveled the area numerous times.
After only about two hours, tvDebug.log grew to about 500 MB. I read the posts on this subject and tried the instructions from GeorgeV. There was no listing for set debug level. Exploring every area of Zone Alarm I could access failed to reveal a set debug level option also. I changed Ccleaner settings and cleaned also
See ZA tray icon bottom right. Hold down keys 'Shift' and 'Ctrl' together and then right click on ZA tray icon > see "Set debug level" now you can set 'Debug categories' > to "Off" > OK > to restart.
:cool: NaiveMelody NYC - 5-2-10 - Photograph - Ringo Starr
It worked this time. I have no clue why I didn't see "set debug level" on the menu the first two times I tried. I'm sure I performed the operation correctly.
One way or the other, all is well.