ZASS and upgrading to Thunderbird 6
Using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 10.0.250.000, I just upgraded Thunderbird 5 to version 6 and immediately afterward wasn't able to connect to the internet at all. If I clicked on a link within an email message nothing would happen, and I'm not sure I was even able to download messages.
Since just yesterday I'd had a similar experience after upgrading Firefox from 5 to 6, I checked ZASS Application Control. In Application Control Settings > View Programs, I noticed that there WAS an entry for Thunderbird 6 (I guess ZASS inserted this row by itself when I upgraded?) but it had all X's on the row.
I wasn't sure exactly how an email client app should be set, so I compared it to another email app I use, and ended up setting it to these values:
Outbound Trusted: Allow
Outbound Internet: Allow
Inbound Trusted: Allow
Inbound Internet: Ask
Then everything was fine with Thunderbird.
Is that correct to leave Inbound Internet set to ASK?
This was actually an easier upgrade than for Firefox -- with Firefox ZASS didn't create a new row in this Application Control at all; I had to add it manually. With Thunderbird it at least created a new row but didn't set any of the trust level values.
My question: when you upgrade an application, how does ZoneAlarm Application Control create the trust settings for the new app? Does it usually automatically add a new row in View Programs and set the four values itself? How would it know what values to use? Does it have some internal database for what each of the four levels should be, does it copy them from the entry for the previous version, or is it left to the user? (Sorry--I know I'm asking too many questions!).
Re: ZASS and upgrading to Thunderbird 6
Sorry, Thunderbird is not one of the Supported Browser..
ZoneAlarm ZAISS 10.0.250 System Requirements
Browser security requirements
Spam filtering and MailSafe requirements (not available in all ZoneAlarm products)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9
- Mozilla Firefox 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 4, 5
Mailsafe supports SMTP outbound only
- POP3: Supported
- IMAP: Supported if Outlook Express is set to download the entire message (not just message header)
Note: WinMail IMAP not supported
Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010
- Exchange: Supported
- POP3: Supported
- IMAP: Supported if Outlook is set to download the entire message (not just message header)
Hard Drive Encryption requirements (optional add-on; not available in all ZoneAlarm products):
- Most Laptop and Desktop PCs are supported: Your computer is checked for compatibility at installation time. Not all systems will be compatible.
If you have a valid ZA license
- New user-friendly design: Easy for all levels of users, confirms protection at a glance. Runs automatically, is easy to customize and provides instant access to support and 24/7 live chat.
- Quick install: Makes securing your computer faster and easier than ever.
- Enhanced Cloud Security: 3rd Generation Cloud Technologies detect 50,000 - 75,000 new applications every day and verify threats detected by behavioral scans.
- New Antivirus engine: Including behavioral detection and advanced virus removal, plus virus pre-scan during installation.
- New complete suite of parental controls: Limits time spent online and helps you block pornography, hate sites, questionable chat rooms, online gambling, profanity and more.
Please contact the Official ZA Technical Support at the Support link in my Signature, click on Live Chat and troubleshoot the issue with them.