Thread: Do any programs need SERVER ACCESS?

ejr Guest

Default Do any programs need SERVER ACCESS?

I have a number of programs in my trusted zone for internet accesss. And as a relative newbie to this forum just so that I know that I am being clear in my verbiage, that means I have green checks in the trusted and internet columns under ACCESS.However, the only program that has any checks in the SERVER columns is the svchost.exe file. Do any programs need SERVER ACCESS?Specifically, my antivirus update program. Should it have green checks in the trusted and internet columns under SERVER?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Do any programs need SERVER ACCESS?

Hi ejr
    Very few programs needs internet server rights to work properly (MSN,some games chats...).It's common that they ask even don't needing.In principle the rule is deny (you can always grant it later) and see if the program works properly.About your antivirus I don't think it needs. If you have troubles give it server rights in the trusted zone and put a red cross under server internet. Server internet usually opens ports (what is really dangerous if you have some malware in your computer to receive and answer)as the program waits for connections.Compare with someone waiting for a phone call.
    Best regards

Thread Information