Thread: component access

woodynails Guest

Default component access

Hi,
    Do the green check marks beside the components in the components tab of the program control menu mean that these components are allowed internet access or that they have been configured to follow the rules of the program of which they are a part. For example if I choose not to allow c:\programfiles\acrobat.exe to have access to the internet will this also prevent a component file installed with that program (with a check beside it in the component tab list) from accessing the internet. My program control is set to high and I am confused by the wording "components with green check marks have been secured by Zone Alarm", when there is no option tto deny access.

Thanks for any help
    Woody

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: component access

Hi woodynails
    Those components in the list in program control are the ones ZA has information and consider there are no danger to access the internet. If a program load a component that it's not in the list if you are with program control at high you will be asked for allow or deny permission. Do this,in the components list select one and click more information, SmartDefense Adviser will open in your browser and you can look at the details.
    About your doubt with the word components, they are also called modules or DLL (Dinamically Linked Lybrarie),that are small pieces of software the programs use to optimize performance.
    Best regards

woodynails Guest

Default Re: component access

Thanks for your reply Ad-Hock.

I guess I don't understand why I can't deny access to components in the componens tab. If when I allow access in the window that pops up when I am using my browser, and that setting then shows up in the components tab, why doesn't the same thing happen when access is denied in the pop up window?

hanks again,
    Woodynails

Thread Information