Thread: Importing configuration xml file for imaged machines

collierm Guest

Default Importing configuration xml file for imaged machines

We use an imaging solution that utilises a batch file to run scripts to install applications on new PC builds. I am trying to find out if it is possible to import the xml file automatically upon installation of ZASS 6. Does it simply need to be copied to a specific directory or is information extracted from it.I am a newbie with this software, so appreciate all the help I can get.Thanks in advanceMatt

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Importing configuration xml file for imaged machines

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>collierm wrote: We use an imaging solution that utilises a batch file to run scripts to install applications on new PC builds. I am trying to find out if it is possible to import the xml file automatically upon installation of ZASS 6. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Matt, I see it has been a while since you have posted and no one has replied, so hopefully you will see this. Generally it is not recommended to import an XML backup file from one machine to another, because of all the potential software differences that can occur. (Both installed OS and application differences) With that said, I myself have often wondered about your scenario where systems are being created from an imaged install. <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Does it simply need to be copied to a specific directory or is information extracted from it I am a newbie with this software, so appreciate all the help I can get.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To answer you question, yesthe settings/info is read from the XML file and input into the ZA databases. You would need to open ZA and Import the backup file from where you have it, either copied to the HD or possibly from a CD.Hope this helps. Take care.

collierm Guest

To answer you question, yesthe settings/info is read from the XML file and input into the ZA databases. You would need to open ZA and Import the backup file from where you have it, either copied to the HD or possibly from a CD.OK, that I understand. It appears then that there is still some manual work to be done. As all the machines will be built the same, default locations, everything, I should be able to import the file, let everything else complete, then manually open the ZASS app and import the file. Is this correct?Thanks for the reply and helpMatt

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>collierm wrote:
    ... As all the machines will be built the same, default locations, everything, I should be able to import the file, let everything else complete, then manually open the ZASS app and import the file. Is this correct?Thanks for the reply and helpMatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. Once you have the new computer up and running, just import the backup file. I would suggest once the file has imported take a moment to verify the settings did in fact import correctly. After they are verified as correct or you have made any necessary corrections, close ZASS. The settings changes and additions are only written to the database files on shutdown/restart or when you close ZASS. This way you insure the settings are in ZASS.

I would ask you to post back and let us know how this works for you. Like I originally said it is not recommended to setup ZA in this manner, but since the computers are exact clones I can't see the difference in this and restoring a crashed computer. Take care.

You are welcome.

Thread Information