Thread: ZA IE Access, Regardless of Expert Rules/Requires ZA's Access for ME to Access IE

dontletmegetme Guest

Default ZA IE Access, Regardless of Expert Rules/Requires ZA's Access for ME to Access IE

**Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to make sure that you had everything you needed to get a complete understanding of my particular issues.**I've been using ZA for a # of years and currently have ZA Security Suite installed.ISSUE #1I am unable to select the manual updates option in Overview/Preferences. It is greyed-out. I have uninstalled it, cleaned the registry and did a custom reinstall to try to prevent this from being disabled to no avail. I even installed it on a clean OSbut no luck there either. The option to check for updates manually is not available.Why am I not able to check for updates manually? Why is this option greyed-out upon installation of ZA? Hopefully I don't have to go thru the whole license key thing because my past experience with ZA tech support hasn't been all that great.....ISSUE #2Under Program Control/Programs, I have ZA set as blocked and even added an expert rule to prevent access to the internet regardless of other settings. I have set up a rule for each and every .dll, .exe,and any other file associated with ZA. I have alsounchecked all securityoptions - supposedly preventing ZAfrom using other programs to access, preventing open access, etc....In Program Control/Components, I have set all ZA associated files to ask for access. HOWEVER..... the .dll's seem to have tricked IE into thinking they are required in order for me to connect. In other words, unless I grant access to ZA, I am unable to connect.Maybe there's some sort of info-gathering mission that ZA goes on when I connect. I don't know but I know I don't like it. Call me a control freak but I don't want any program to make any kind of move what-so-ever unless I grant permission. If I want to access the internet, I should be able to do so without ZA's authorization. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?? :\ I thought I was purchasing a good program that I could depend on but......All of the.dll's and other associated ZA filesare setas 'BLOCK' access or 'ASK' permission (components). Expert rules are supposed to have been applied to each and every one of them - blocking access, regarless of the situation.The primary ZAfiles that seem to 'trick' IE into thinking they area required componentin order to access the internet are: imslsp.dll, libeay32_0.9.6l.dll, isafeproduct.dll, vetredir.dll, isafeif.dll, arclib.dll, vete.dll, and imscure.zap.ISSUE #3Also, I've just noticed that other programs' components (.dll's) suddenly have access when they were set to ask in the 'components' section. As with ZA and associated .dll's and .exe's, the programs themselves are deniedaccess (blocked) and most have 'expert rules' associated with them and are not permitted to use other programs, nor are they permitted to have open access. Unless I have unknowingly allowed access thinking the component was part of IE, I don't know of any other way they would be changed except through ZA itself.So my ?s are: How do I prevent ZA and other programsand their associated files from preventing my access to the internet unless I grant them access; andhow do I enable the option of manually checking for updates? As you can see, I've tried everything I can think of.I've suggested ZA to friends/family and even given my previous versions away because I do trust the protection that ZA provides. I just don't want to have to grant ZA access in order for me tohave access.... Hopefully there is a simple solution or setting to fix my issues. If not my next step will be getting rid of ZA altogether and getting my $ back.Thanks again.....I look forward to any suggestions or assistance you can provide me.sophieZone Alarm Security SuiteWindows XPSP2 Home EditionNo Other Antivirus or Firewall Programs Installed (MS Firewall Disabled)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:5.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA IE Access, Regardless of Expert Rules/Requires ZA's Access for ME to Access IE

Try resetting your ZA database ad see if that helps with your various problems. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

dontletmegetme Guest

Default Re: ZA IE Access, Regardless of Expert Rules/Requires ZA's Access for ME to Access IE

Thank you BillCherryAtl... I'll give that a try....

dontletmegetme Guest

no luck.... unfortunately as you mentioned, all of my settings are gone.....None of the issues are fixed. Any other suggestions?Thnx......

billc Guest

The database reset usually works, but at this point I think you should reinstall ZA. First uninstall ZA this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now install ZA fresh.

Thread Information