Thread: Enabling ports manually not possible in free zonealarm 6.1 (latest version downloaded today?)

motyl Guest

Default Enabling ports manually not possible in free zonealarm 6.1 (latest version downloaded today?)

Hi guys,

I' having very strange problem. When I first installed older version of zonealarm, I manually opened 2 ports and it worked fine. Today I realised that one of these 2 ports was blocked again so I wen't to change the firewall settings and enable it again, but it looks like BUTTONS are missing in my zonealarm control center! I then uninstalled zonealarm, downloaded latest version and installed it again. All old settings were lost so it looks like it's really a fresh copy. But the same problem occured again, I do NOT see "Custom" buttons in zone settings. I just had a look at online documentation and it says the following in first few steps for opening ports:
    To change a port s access permission:
    1. Select Firewall|Main.
    2. In either the Internet Zone Security or the Trusted Zone Security area, click Custom. The Custom Firewall Settings dialog appears.

When I click Firewall --> Main then I see two "drag-boxes", one for "Internet Zone Security" and the other one for "Trusted Zone Security". No matter in which position these drag boxes are, THERE ARE NO "CUSTOM" BUTTONS BESIDE THESE DRAG-BOXES. You can see screenshot of this page of control panel here: http://www.motylonline.com/~private/zonealarm.jpg

Now I'm very confused, how can this be? What should I do to open ports manually if my zonealarm control center doesn't display the two "Custom" buttons in firewall zones settings?

Please help, I'm really desperate :-/

Thanks A LOT guys,
    Motyl

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Enabling ports manually not possible in free zonealarm 6.1 (latest version downloaded today?)

Hi motyl
    You don't have the option of open ports mannualy in ZA free. For that you need version Pro or equivalent.
    Best regards

motyl Guest

Default Re: Enabling ports manually not possible in free zonealarm 6.1 (latest version downloaded today?)

Thanks for very quick reply. You answer seems strange because manual ports opening WAS in the firewall settings of free zonealarm 1-2 months ago when I first installed it on 2 home laptops. It must have disappeared recently, probably when free zonealarm was upgraded to newer version.

You can even see the step by step instructions for manual ports opening in free zonealarm manual (both installed on computer & online manual). Check out page 53 (section "Adding custom ports") in online manual to see for yourself. I found link to that PDF documentation on this page related to free zonealarm support.

Thanks for helping me out of this problem,
    Motyl

motyl Guest

I tried to install old version (5.5) to test if it works. Hmmmmmmmm.... I don't see those buttons either. Looks like I either have some forgotten newer version of some zonealarm dll on my laptop or more likely --- I remember something that never happened.

But hey, how come my emule was working fine for few months and I started getting "lowid" because of blocked ports only couple of days ago? There is also hundreds how-to manuals for setting up free zonealarm firewall to get emule working properly - all say the same as is in the original online manual. They simply refer people to manually open 2 ports. Most of these manuals even contains screen-shots of free zonealarm and I remember doing it.

Dahhh,,, if I keep failing for another 2-3 hours it looks like i'll have to uninstall zonealarm and forget about it. NAT protection on router does 99% of protections against hack attempts from outside. Hopefully simple inbuilt windows xp firewall will do the job for me --- and it's also possible to easily open ports manually there.

Guys please help if possible. I was very happy with free zonealarm for few months, I really would prefer to keep it installed, it's great piece of software. It would be a pitty to get rid of it just because of this "small" issue.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks,
    Motyl

ad_hock Guest

Hi motyl.
    I've told you but you may contact technical support to be sure,as I use the pro version. http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ch_support.jsp
    You are right about incoming protection from the NAT router, problem is outbond protection that neither the router nor the XP firewall gives.
    Best regards

Thread Information