Thread: Host ZAP 5.5 blocks client internet connection sharing

maybethisllwork Guest

Default Host ZAP 5.5 blocks client internet connection sharing

Two XP SP2 computers on an Ethernet LAN use ICS through a wireless adapter logged into an internet access point. When ICS-host ZAP is off, everything works well. (Free ZA 5.5 on client.) I have followed the (somewhat confusing) directions in

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=GB&lang=en

but when ICS-host ZAP is on, the client cannot ping the default gateway nor display a browser page.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?

Also, if you have a moment, I need some clarification about terminology in the ZAP Control Center. In Firewall > Zones there is a column headed "Name," but when a value is entered in the Edit Network Box "Description" field that value appears under the Zones "Name" heading. In Windows XP there is a difference between name and description in various computer and network dialog boxes. In my setup the description and the name are different. Should the Zones "Name" column for the trusted client computer have its name or its description?

--David

P.S. ZL tech support recommended I use ZAP 5.5 instead of 6.1 to cure a memory problem, so installing 6.1 to solve this problem is not an option.

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Host ZAP 5.5 blocks client internet connection sharing

Follow this instructions from Guru Bill http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23158#M23158
    About your second question is the name that matters the description is more a remember you type whenn adding for example a host to the trusted zone.
    Best regards

maybethisllwork Guest

The URL you supplied is solid gold. Thank you.

Putting those notes in ZAP Help would save a lot of networkling trouble for many. You could also add an edited version of the notes in the URL I posted and tidy up the ZAP Help screens to which they refer. This would give the anti-ZAP crowd on the news groups less ammo and perhaps get more sales for ZL.

--David

ad_hock Guest

You're very welcome
    I'll suggest Bill to try to convince the ZL guys, after all he is the father of those extremely well written notes that makes the life much easier to set up ICS with ZA.Thanks for your suggestion.
    My best regards and wishes of a Happy New Year

Thread Information