Thread: Program Control Settings & Windows Update

bphaere Guest

Default Program Control Settings & Windows Update

I check Program Control settings each night to make sure nothing has internet server rights. Since the Windows Update on Jan. 05, I see two entries I thought I had corrected.Windows Messenger - auto - super trusted - all green except send-mailRun a DLL as an App - auto - super trusted - ALL greenI thought I had shut-off internet server and send mail rights, but maybe I just deleted the two items from my list without changing anything about a month ago and they have now reappeared with the recent WMF update. I don't notice any program settings changing willy-nilly.My concern is this. I like using the Windows AutoUpdate feature instead of doing it manually. Does Windows Messenger need Internet Server rights for AutoUpdate to function? What about the Run DLL?I learned a long time ago not to fiddle with settings I know little or nothing about. I do not use Messenger for IM. I have been reading the forums for about two months and I appreciate the time, effort, and dedication you all exhibit. I have learned a lot here and much of it from repetitive posts. Sometimes I can guess correctly what the answers will be .

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Program Control Settings & Windows Update

Neither of those two applications need to have 'server' rights. You should put question marks under the 'server' columns. I sometimes use Messenger for video chats with friends in far away places and the program will request 'server' rights at which point I grant them. The only program I've granted server rights to is Generic Host Process and only in the Trusted zone, not the Internet zone.

arson Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>bphaere wrote:
    I check Program Control settings each night to make sure nothing has internet server rights. Since the Windows Update on Jan. 05, I see two entries I thought I had corrected.Windows Messenger - auto - super trusted - all green except send-mailRun a DLL as an App - auto - super trusted - ALL greenI thought I had shut-off internet server and send mail rights, but maybe I just deleted the two items from my list without changing anything about a month ago and they have now reappeared with the recent WMF update. I don't notice any program settings changing willy-nilly.My concern is this. I like using the Windows AutoUpdate feature instead of doing it manually. Does Windows Messenger need Internet Server rights for AutoUpdate to function? What about the Run DLL?I learned a long time ago not to fiddle with settings I know little or nothing about. I do not use Messenger for IM. I have been reading the forums for about two months and I appreciate the time, effort, and dedication you all exhibit. I have learned a lot here and much of it from repetitive posts. Sometimes I can guess correctly what the answers will be .

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi bphaere ...

No Windows Messenger doesn't need Server Rights what-so-ever in order for Windows Update to Automatically operate properly ...

Since you don't use Windows Messenger -The IM, ( because there's also a Service in XP named the same and it's usually disabled by default when you install Service Pack 2, but we will only concetrateon the IM one ) you can go into Windows Messenger and shut it down from within (I think it's in Messengers tools or options ... it's been awhile) and if you use Outlook or Outlook Express you can also shut it down from within Oor OE alsobyenabling "do not run at Start-up"... You can now customize it within ZA's Program Control either giving it all red x's ...now itdoesn't haveServer Rights (or any rights for that matter )which most programs or Apps don't need any way as you probably know and in your caseit needs no rights in ZAPro... There are several methods to try and remove Windows Messenger from your Operating System but it's deeply incorporated or embedded into your OS by M$when you install XP and it's a pain in theArsonto completely remove so totally disabling it is the best method for now ... A simple way is to go into "Addor Remove", look down the right side and open "Add/Remove Windows Components", scroll down and UNCHECK "Windows Messenger" ONLY, then click next and follow the instructions of the Wizard ... Reboot and that should be it ... but remember results may very and everything in this world doesn't come up Roses sometimes

Now as far as Run a DLL as an App (rundll32.exe) -

Rundll32.exe is a windows system file used to make .dll files run as a regular application and, if deleted, you may have minimal customizable options to your computer. Control panel, user account preferences, and more will not run without this file, which makes it required and a perfect target for trojans, spyware, etc..

To find it for yourself, open a copy of Windows Explorer. Click Tools &gt; Folder Options. Then click the View tab. On the tab, you should see a list of options you can enable or disable. Look for the Hidden Files/Folders option. Set the option to "Show hidden files and folders" and click OK. You should now be able to find RUNDLL32.EXE using a standard Windows search under most circumstances. However, if you don't, you can go back into Explorer's Folder Options, as we did above, and uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" box, click OK, and try the search again.

At this point, the search should have found the RUNDLL32.EXE file. It should be stored in c:\Windows\System32 OR C:\Winnt\System32 - depending on the version of Windows you've got installed on your machine

The legit RUNDLL32.EXEis a ''helper'' file that's part of the Windows operating system and it helps programs open libraries (DLLs). It also helps open documents by going into the Windows Registry - which, in simplest terms is a file that contains instructions that tell Windows how to open files, what program(s) to open a given file type with, how to display programs (how big to make the window, what colors to use, etc, etc, etc ) and finding the associated program and launching it. This is how you can double click on a Word document and have Word start up and open the file.

The illegit ... It should also be noted that some virus/spyware authors have given their malware names that sound an awful lot like RUNDLL32.EXE - such as RUN32.DLL.EXE, RUNDII32.EXE, etc.. These files masquerade as the genuine article but can cause all manner of problems, freeze-ups, stolen passwords, identity theft, etc... The first thing to do would be to scan your computer for viral infestation and for spyware in both Regular and Safe Mode.Some spyware/viruses also make use of the functions of the RUNDLL32.EXE file to execute. To find out more info on this, just google "rundll32.exe" ...

For me it's given Super Trust and Access (Trusted,Internet)and NO Server Rights, only ?'s, just in case I want to see what it's trying to do ... that's it for now and I hope this helps a lil' Hamster Person :8}

Arson D. Dragon

arson Guest

Pardon me BillCherryAtl ... I didn't see your post there when I first started my reply to bphaereuntil after I finished writing and posting my message ...Arson D. Dragon

billc Guest

Worry not. I'm always pleased to see others who want to help. I too have found myself typing while others have posted.

bphaere Guest

Thank you, Bill. I have replaced the Server and SendMail rights with question marks. I think from now on when I delete programs from my list, I will only delete the ones designated "auto" with all question marks.

bphaere Guest

Wow! Information overload here!Thank you, ARSON, for all the background information. It really helps a non-system person understand how the computer "thinks".I don't think I will try disabling anything by deleting / altering system files unless / until I have major problems with trojans, rootkits, etc. One of the benefits of ZA is that these files can be controlled without diddling at the operating systems level. I'll just set server rights and send mail rights to question marks at this point.In addition to ZAPro, I use CA's AV which never finds anything as far as I can tell. I run ewido(free) daily and once a week in safe mode. Ewido has found only cookies. After the WMF Update, I used the Windows Live Safey Center to scan. Everything looks clean so far.Thank you for assuring me that the Automatic Update will still function without giving server rights to Windows Messenger.

Thread Information