Thread: I am a new user and I need help with using the program controls correctly please

willin Guest

Default I am a new user and I need help with using the program controls correctly please

HiCould someone please help me in regards to using the program controls. I don't understand what I should have checked under access and server columns. I am having trouble with MSN. they are my ISP and for some reason I can not get all my favorites back which is on their server after performing a system recovery and installing Zone Alarm.Is there a good tutorial that explains what I should and shouldn't allow under program controls?I have windowsxp and SP2 is installed. I check for updates daily.I would truly appreciate any help and guidance you could give please.Sincerely

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

jarvis Guest

Default Re: I am a new user and I need help with using the program controls correctly please

You have MSN in the programs list, is it MSN Messenger, or something else?

MSN Messenger should have trusted and internet Access permission only, with Trusted and Internet Server permission denied. That will give you basic instant messaging functions. If you want to use voice or video messaging, you might need to grant Internet Server permission, but I would suggest doing that on a temporary basis while you use that feature - leave the setting on ASK (?) for internet server.

Now, if MSN in their ISP guise have a program running on your system in order to connect, I'm afraid I don't know what their permissions should be.

Now to favourites. If these are Internet Explorer favourites, they are stored on your hard-drive only and will probably have been removed by running a system recovery (was that a CD provided by your PC manufacturer? they usually wipe everything.) However, MSN stores your MSN Messenger "buddies" on their server, so once you log into MSN you should still see those.

As for advice on program permissions, use the search box at the bottom of this page to search for posts by Hoov or MuffinCharizard. You will find links to their web sites in their signatures or profiles. They contain a wealth of information about the subject

willin Guest

Default Re: I am a new user and I need help with using the program controls correctly please

Thank you so much for your reply and the information you provided me with. I will most certainly do the search to get that info.

Many blessings to you

Sincerely

:8}

Thread Information