Thread: Netscape 8.1 keeps asking to ACT AS A SERVER

screamingmonkey Guest

Default Netscape 8.1 keeps asking to ACT AS A SERVER

Hi,I recently allowed Netscape 8.0 to upgrade itself to 8.1. Now, everytime I start Netscape, ZAP says "Netscape and components are trying to act as a Server"... ALLOW / DENY...Since I don't see why I ought to allow a web browser to be granted server rights, I deny. By the way, I ran NAV & AVG virus scans and the program is fine.The problem is that I get this annoying alert every time I start Netscape, and this type of alert apparently does not carry a "Remember This Setting" check box. Under the alert's "details," there is a whole list of components, including some like "COOLBUCKY.DLL," "CoolHttp.dll," and "COOLSOCKET.DLL," among others.However, when I went to the Component Control tab in ZoneAlarm Pro, I realized that I cannot set any component to "Deny," and this apparently only controls a component's access rights anyway and not it's server rights...( X-( ). My only options were "Allow"and "Ask."Is there any way to have ZAP remember NOT to grant Netscape server access (or any other program for that matter) ??! A "Remember This Setting" check box on Program Component Alerts and an "X" option in the Component Control tab would definitely be on my wish list for the next program update !

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Netscape 8.1 keeps asking to ACT AS A SERVER

The problem here lies in that you updated the browser,thus it may have added a new component that needs access ,open ZA and goto the program control section and click on the component tab scroll down and see if any Netscape components have a red X next to them,if so give them a Green checkmark,thus allowing the component access when Netscape access's the Internet,removing the annoying alert for the browser itself wanting server rights.

screamingmonkey Guest

Well, I've done that... I allow it to"access" the internet, but what it keeps asking for is SERVER permission! It says "Netscape and components want to act as a server." I click DENY, and Netscape starts up normally and I view my web pages.Why is it asking to act as a server ???

flyyourway Guest

This is because a COMPONENT that needs access to the internet isnt being allowed access,thus the server warning.Open ZoneAlarm,then goto the Program Control tab,now click on the Components tab,scroll thru this list and see if you see anything to do with Netscape and its browser plugins,if anything has been red X then this means this components needs access with the browser thus the alert that it wants to act as server.This explain it better to you?

movie_man Guest

HI ScreamingMonkey as far as i understand very few programs need "INTERNET" "SERVER" rights, open zonealarm then Go to program control->programs-> scroll to Netscape 8.1 then put a (x)in the "INTERNET SERVER" side.

flyyourway Guest

This will not stop the alert that user is receiving,and you are correct Netscape does not need any type of server rights,while updating the browser a component was added to the program itself,this component hasn't received any type of permission from the user himself,except that the browser already had certain permissions,now the component will look for access,it asks for server rights,which it doesn't need,but it does need access,so the user will need to change this permission from ASK or BLOCKED to allow,then he will no longer receive the ALERTS.

Message Edited by FlyYourWay on 02-02-2006 01:29 PM

screamingmonkey Guest

Before I read your message I tried deleting the "Netscape" entry in ZAP's program list, slid the Program Control bar to LOW (Learning Mode), and then restarted Netscape... It ran fine until I moved the Program Control bar back up to HIGH. Once I did, the "...act as a server" alerts started again. I then read your advice. What you said about the components not getting the access rights they needed made sense, so I did as you said & gave all the related Netscape components ACCESS rights. Once I did this, Netscape finally stopped asking for SERVER rights (THANK YOU! ). What was strange was that I had many double instances of the exact same components. The only difference was that one component's file path would have some words in all caps and its twin wouldn't...Example:C:\Program Files\Netscape\Browser 8.x\xpcom.dllC:\PROGRAM FILES\Netscape\BROWSER 8.X\xpcom.dll(what's up with that ?)Also, any idea why placing ZAP in Component Learning Mode didn't do the trick ?THANKS for all your help !

flyyourway Guest

The capilization is most likely because of the browser uprade,and thus why all the new alerts.ZAP has many learning disabilities,this is why you came and sought out help from this user forum,besides that my answer may get to complex,sorry also for the delay in response had to refind all my comments thru my own tracker page.

Thread Information