Thread: Which of these programs should have server access?

jwirt Guest

Default Which of these programs should have server access?

ZA has given these programs Server access:
    _____________________________Server_______________ __________Trusted_Internet______Email
    iTunes

Yes

Yes

NoGeneric Host Process

Yes

No

NoMicrosoft HTML (mshta.exe)

Yes

Yes

??NOD32 kernal service

Yes

Yes

YesRun
    Dll as App

Yes

Yes

YesSNMP Service

Yes

Yes

No

NOD32 is an anitvirus program.
    There is a recommendation on "Run DLL as App" in a message posted a
    couple of
    topics below. The recommendation is No/No on Server access. Email shoudl probably be No for this "program, too. What is this "program?"
    Good recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    John

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Which of these programs should have server access?

I would not grant 'server' rights to any of those programs and where they now have server rights now, I'd change to 'ask'. Very few programs need server rights to function properly although some are 'programmed' to ask.

Guru Bill's suggestion is best. Set to ask if you don't know.

The only programs that ever need server rights are programs that sit there waiting to be contacted from outside without initiating contact first. These include messenger programs (MSN, Yahoo, AOL and Skype) which wait for someone to send you a message or a phone call, and some antivirus programs which sit waiting for the vendor to advise that an updated virus signature file is available for automatic download.

Your software should tell you whether it needs server rights but in general, do not grant server rights to any program that doesn't specifically need it - especially P2P file sharing programs like Kazaar etc.

jwirt Guest

Bill and FrererOP,

When I tried to change the settings of all the listed processes above to "X" (as suggested by FrererOP to "?&quot, I got this message for the Windows 2000 system processes:

Applying custom settings to System Programs could cause serious probems with your computer, including crashes and connectivity problems. ZA __strongly recmmmends__ (emphasis added)
    that you do not change thse settings.

The processes that say this are:

Run DLL as an Applicaiotn
    (Run32DLL.exe)

Services and Controller App (Services.exe)

Windows NT Session (Smss.exe)

Do you stand by your recommendation. Set both of the server options to No ("X&quot for these processes?

Thank you both

John Wirt

Hi John,

Run DLL as an Application
    - I have this blocked for server rights in Trusted and Internet Zones

Services and Controller App (Services.exe)
    - I have this blocked for server rights in Internet Zones but allowed in Trusted Zone. Not sure if this is necessary and am trialling it blocked for server rights in Trusted Zone as well.

Windows NT Session (Smss.exe)
    - Don't have this listed in ZA but it is listed in the process list. I suggest blocking all access (Access, Server and e-mail) as it obviously doesn't need it.

If any setting are wrong, youcan always change them later.

billc Guest

I take a bit of a different approach. I've only 'blocked' a few applications for server rights and that is because they ask all the time but don't need server rights to function properly. If they don't bug me by asking all the time, I have 'ask' for each application. The reason I do it this way is sometimes a program may need server rights to function properly like in the case of MSN video chat and I want it to ask. No program can have server rights unless I grant it when asked. I'm always curious why a program might ask especially if I'm not using it at the time. Some will ask but it could be an indication of something else going on.

munchimike Guest

Hi All,
    I stumbled onto this and have a more severe attitude to any program wanting server rights.
    In fact NONE get those rights. Talk about SPYWARE !!
    If any one of those programs get permission to transmit anything they want, anywhere, any time;
    HOW can that be a good thing??
    One of the reasons to turn off so many of the xp services is for this very reason.
    All that "remote" stuff, Messenger, and Netmeeting and such;
    all severely vulnerable, and having recently re-installed and upgraded to Pro, on three computers;
    I've just gone through the gamut.
    In fact, I have come to resent Microsoft even more having just had a live show of HOW insidious it is;
    Media Player. You update it; it calls itself a server with FULL rights !! The nerve ! There's a list so check your permissions regularly.

It's bad enough we've lost our rights and our privacy online; but giving permission to anything that takes it anyway, is like giving a cookie to a kid who just stole the cookie jar. The terrorism built into the responses is questionable too BTW. " If you da da da yadda yadda, .....some programs may cease to......."
    Give me a break !!
    Turn every one of those things off, and "Run dll as a server" ?! BLOCK IT. It'll take it back later and BLOCK it then too.

There are now only two programs I let be a server.
    The first is my Torrent program, and that's understandable, I swap peer to peer, so files need to go in and out. Fine.
    The second is Network Magic. It seems to have taken two approaches by requiring all rights for itself and it's maker Pure Networks; a point I'm investigating. If it doesn't need it I'm taking it away.

One more thing. If a cop stops you and has no reasonable cause to search your car; he can't. If he asks; say NO !
    Same thing. You need to know that you can say NO; practice it often.
    Peace Out.

naivemelody Guest

Aren't we glad we have ZoneAlarm firewalls where all the programs are listed and "we" have the ability to block or reduce the ability of all of these 'software' to call home and make un-necessary connections. I haven't tried many firewalls other than Norton -
    once; but I think ZA is one of the few firewalls that gives a user such a 'full display and the ability to customize' according to our needs - excellent!<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 1-3-09 - Police On My Back - The Clash

Thread Information