Thread: Windows XP MCE unable to connect to the internet to download program guide

flashlight Guest

Default Windows XP MCE unable to connect to the internet to download program guide

I am unable to connect to the internet to download the program guide when ZoneAlarm is enabled.
    It is most likely a simple setting I have missed, but I have not been able to figure it out.
    I can download the program guide when I disable ZoneAlarm.I am running
    MCE 2005 SP2 with ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.737.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Windows XP MCE unable to connect to the internet to download program guide

<blockquote><hr>Flashlight wrote:
    I am unable to connect to the internet to download the program guide when ZoneAlarm is enabled. It is most likely a simple setting I have missed, but I have not been able to figure it out. I can download the program guide when I disable ZoneAlarm.I am running MCE 2005 SP2 with ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.737.000

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.5

<hr></blockquote>

I don't have Win MCE, but have an idea what is causing it. It is likely a privacy setting issue. I'm not exactly sure how that program works though. Are you getting any kind of alerts when you try to access it? Does it try to connect through your browser such as IE to the website of your TV provider such as comcast.com or whatever? If it is a special program interface that accesses and downloads the program guide, you'd also need to be sure that that program has trusted and internet access permission (ACCESS not server) in the Program Control list. Is there a specific executable program name that downloads this program guide, i.e., how do you launch this attempt to get it? If it were an internet permission access problem, I would think ZA should pop up an alert saying &quot;Program X&quot; is trying to access the internet and ask for permission.

Here's the first thing I'd check... a way to test to see if it is a privacy setting issue. Go into your ZA Control panel to Privacy&gt;Main tab. You will see 3 areas: slider controls for cookies and ad-blocking, and a radio button for mobile code. Turn all 3 off. Refresh your browser and clear your cache. Now try to access your Program Guide again. If it works, then it means something in your privacy settings was preventing it. Turning off all 3 controls like you just did unfortunately turns off privacy for ALL the websites you visit. i.e., they are global controls. You can also control the privacy settings for only the websites that give you trouble, while keeping privacy high on all the other websites. You'd have to know which website your Program Guide is trying to access in order to customize it for that one website.

Once you know what it is, here is how you customize a single website:
    Go to Privacy&gt;Site list tab. Scroll down and find the website in question. If you haven't visited it during this session, it won't show, but you can use the &quot;add&quot; button in the lower right corner. You can try to see if you can customize it just using the column display. i.e., a checkmark in mobile code, and checkmarks for cookies. I'd keep X's in web bugs and private headers. If that doesn't work, then finer tuning is necessary. RIGHT-click on the website name in the list and select &quot;options&quot;. The 3 tabs will pop up for cookies, ad-blocking, and mobile code. You can play around with the settings in those 3 tabs until you get it to work, and click OK. This will save those customized privacy settings to only the one website. All the other websites will continue to go by the global options on the Main page with the slider controls. Please post back your results. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-01-200703:05 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

flashlight Guest

Default Re: Windows XP MCE unable to connect to the internet to download program guide

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I tried it, but it do not resolve the issue.Here is the message I am getting: Guide Download Error -- The Guide could not be downloaded for the following reason: Internet connection failure (Code: 4).
    From what I can tell, this issue started when I did a Windows Update
    with Rollup for Windows XP MCE 2005.

Thread Information