Thread: ZA not loading on startup

dooley Guest

Default ZA not loading on startup

ZA security suite is not loading on startup. I have deleted the windows internet logs many times and restarted ZA. I have checked the box that says to have ZA load at startup and then I can switch tabs and go back to it, it will show unchecked.
    Anything else I miss? Any help?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA not loading on startup

You said you deleted the Internet Logs file, but did you do it this way? If you don't do it in the Safe Mode, it will not reset.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

dooley Guest

Yes, I did it exactly like that, still nothing..any ideas?

If it isn't starting, then its a WINDOWS issue. It may be starting but not putting the icon in the system tray. XP does this occassionally for me and I don't know what causes it.

Run Spybot Search and Destroy in Advancd mode and navigate to the Tools/System Startup screen. You should see an entry there like this:-

HK_LM:Run Zone Labs Client C:\PRORA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONELA~1\zlclient.exe

If it's there, it SHOULD be ticked indicating Windows will start it during bootup.

Now check the Process List (again in Spybot S&D) and make sure zlclient.exe is listed. If it's there, ZA is running.

If it isn't listed in either screen, I suggest you do a clean install. You may also want to clean out your registry of residual redundant entries prior to doing the install just to make sure. (Try RegSeeker ot JV16 Power tools) Instructions for dong a clean install are posted reguarly throughout these fora.

billc Guest

I think Ferro's suggestions are good. Also check your Task Manager to see if either or both vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe are running. If they are, Zone Alarm is running but not showing the icons. Ferro's suggestion of clean install is what I'd do after a 'clean' uninstall of your current firewall. Here's how you do that.

Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

learner2020 Guest

Should these files backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb

be located in the Internet Log folder at all?

Or are you suggesting remove these two files, because it's possible that they have been corrupted some how?

billc Guest

You should find both backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb in the Internet Logs file found here: C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs . There will be other Zone Alarm files in there as well. Theses two store Zone Alarm's configurations and can get corrupt usually by an 'unusual' shutdown. When this happens, True Vector can not properly read/understand your settings and to fix that, these files need to be removed. Once remove, Zone Alarm will create two new files in their place. The best way to remove these files, is to boot into the Safe Mode.

flyyourway Guest

is there a folder named Zone.Com within the Windows installation drive?If so rename it and reboot see if ZA starts properly?

Thread Information