Thread: BLOCKING A WEB SIGHT FROM MY GRANDCHILDREN

grunt Guest

Default BLOCKING A WEB SIGHT FROM MY GRANDCHILDREN

I WOULD LIKE TO BLOCK A WEB SIGHT FROM MY GRAND CHILDREN. THE SIGHT I WANT TO BLOCK IS
    MYSPACE.COM. I'VE GONE TO PARENTAL CONTROL AND TRIED TO BLOCK ONLY THAT WEB SIGHT, AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT. IS THERE A WAY TO DENY ACCESS TO THIS SIGHT ONLY?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: BLOCKING A WEB SIGHT FROM MY GRANDCHILDREN

Add this line to your HOSTS file. Search for "hosts" (without the quote marks) and open it in Notepad. The file does not have an extension, its just called hosts.

127.0.0.1 MYSPACE.COM

Or providing the IP address doesn't change this will cover all flavours of addressing including www.myspace.com, myspace.com, MYSPACE.COM etc.

127.0.0.1 63.208.226.43

When they try to access the site, hosts will redirect the search back to your own PC and it will just hang in a loop for a while.

To add a whole list of nasty sites to your hosts file, got to "Tools/Hosts File" in Spybot Search and Destroy (using Advanced Mode) and click on "Add Spybot S&D hosts list" up the top.

If you don't have Spybot S&D, get it HERE. Its free!

Message Edited by FrereOP on 03-04-200608:17 AM

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi Grunt,

"PERHAPS" I can help you, as I am a user of Zone Alarm Pro.
    PLEASE go to the tab where it says Firewall, then to Zones, scroll down to the bottom where it says Entry Level, click on Add, then will give you four options, click on Host/Site, another section will show up which will say
    Zone with a tab (Trusted or Blocked), click on Blocked, next will say Host, put in MySpace.COM, below that it will say Description, put anything you like in that (has to have some type of
    info in it, as the next
    section
    Look-up will not activate).

Click on Look-Up, then the IP Addresses on MYSPACE.COM should show up,
    then click on OK and then another section will show up and at the bottom click on APPLY.
    That will take care of your problem.
    Hopefully, I explained it to you clearly, if not PLEASE post back.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day!

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004

Ahhh, now there's a thing!

Internet addresses are generally case sensitive (except for e-mail addresses!). I followed SlyFox's instructions for blocking the site, and got these three IP addresses for "MySpace.COM", which were the same as for "myspace.com" and "MYSPACE.COM":-

63.208.226.28, 63.208.226.25, 63.208.226.24

However, I then put in www.myspace.com, www.MYSPACE.COM and WWW.MYSPACE.COM as the Host Names and got these 4 addresses:-

63.208.226.42, 63.208.226.41, 63.208.226.40, 63.208.226.43

Clearly they all belong to the same domain, but whether you add them via the hosts file or in ZA, it seems there are alternative addresses which you will need to add to completely block the site.

To add via the hosts file you will need to add these entries (at least!):-

127.0.0.1 myspace.com
    127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com

and probably combinations of upper and lower case as well.

A DNS lookup for myspace.com gives this:-

<blockquote>Myspace.com LVLT-CWIE-63-208-226 (NET-63-208-226-0-2)
    63.208.226.0 - 63.208.226.255</blockquote>

In ZA you can block an IP address range but you would need to ensure you covered all the available addresses, in this case 63.208.226.0 - 63.208.226.255.

To make life easier, can this be done just by blocking the entire domain in ZA? eg 63.208.226.* It CAN'T be done in hosts because you need to specify the name,not the IP address, of the server.

learner2020 Guest

Yea, using SpyBot sounds like a better idea, but don't you need to have the CLSID to do that?Also, I think you can do the same thing with SpyBlaster.

Thread Information