Thread: Quicktime 7 plug-in, ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744

slu Guest

Default Quicktime 7 plug-in, ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744

I am running Firefox 1.5.0.1 on Windows 2000 with ZAP 6.1.744. I just downloaded the new Quicktime 7.0.4 player/plugin. However, I am having "trouble" AFTER movies download. For example, on the Apple Quicktime Movie Trailer site, a movie will download and play in the browser, but after it finishes downloading, 100% of my CPU is in constant use by the browser and stays at 100% until I close the browser window (which is difficult in itself). If I shutdown ZAP, the site and movies have no such hang ups and work just like normal. I've even deleted Quicktime from the "Program Control" of ZA, but it never asks for any permission. I think, therefore, it has something to do with the MIME settings, but I don't know what exactly is causing the problem, nor how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Quicktime 7 plug-in, ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.744

Try lowering the program control to medium and see what happens.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

goober Guest

I have the exact same thing happening in IE6 and Firefox 1.5. I already have program control at medium.

I am running ZA 6.1.744 and Quicktime 7.0.4.80. I have not found any other trouble except with quicktime. When I try to view trailers at quicktime.com, they will usually load and play once but the browser goes to 100% of cpu use basically freezing the system. If I try to download a trailer, it takes about 5 minutes to save it as the system is slowed so much. If I shut down ZA, everything works fine.

I have allowed all cookies, ads & mobile code for the sites but no go.

Try deleting it form the program list in ZA, then restart it and run just it.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

slu Guest

Thanks for the help, Hoov, but it's not solving the problem. I even tried turning Program Control to "Off" (which, of course, is not a good idea), but it still burns the CPU after downloading. Again, the problem disappears if I shutdown ZA entirely. However, I think this problem may be restricted to viewing trailers (or other media) at Apple's site. I.e., if I watch a .mov posted elsewhere or other Quicktime-required media, it's not a problem (I think). Perhaps it's something with copy protection, or feedback that Apple wants or something like that?

Thread Information