Thread: Advanced settings?

learner2020 Guest

Default Advanced settings?

Advanced settings really isn't defined anywhere that I have found for users to tighten up security with ZA Pro.

This program may use other programs to access the Internet?
    Only programs that I can think of would be: Anti-Virus programs looking outward for inbound traffic, Internet Explorer, GHP?
    Any more programs that anyone can think of?

Allow application interaction?
    This setting sounds like you really need to becareful what programs you allow this to occur.Recommendations?
    Outbound Email Protection for this program?
    GHP is set already and Outlook, Outlook Express and IE, that I can think of.What about Anti-Virus programs?
    Filter options:
    Enable Privacy for this program?
    This one, the only thing I can think of is that this program is not recorded in Logs?
    Is this correct?
    Or does this setting make an attempt to hide the program that is on the system?
    Authentication:
    Authenticate components:
    for most this one is already set
    Authenticate program by full path name only:
    is this one a more secure setting and does this mean, what I think it means...
    that the program is verified by the location of the program in the system.
    Example:
    that ZA verifies that the program accessed is from say:
    c:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zclient.exe
    Is this right?
    Enable Passlock:
    This is basically where the program has access to run even if ZA is locked.Should Anti-Virus programs have this setting applied?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Advanced settings?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Learner2020 wrote:
    Advanced settings really isn't defined anywhere that I have found for users to tighten up security with ZA Pro.This program may use other programs to access the Internet?Only programs that I can think of would be: Anti-Virus programs looking outward for inbound traffic, Internet Explorer, GHP?Any more programs that anyone can think of?<HR>This includes any program that is accessed by anotherand the internet is involved. Like your e-mail client. You click on a link in an e-mail and it opens your browser. There are lots more. <HR>Allow application interaction?This setting sounds like you really need to becareful what programs you allow this to occur.Recommendations?<HR>Like any other settings, if it asks, and you are not sure, then deny it. If it doesn't work then go back and allow it. <HR>Outbound Email Protection for this program?GHP is set already and Outlook, Outlook Express and IE, that I can think of.What about Anti-Virus programs?<HR>This is to block any program from sending an e-mail unless you allow it. This could be any number of programs. <HR>Filter options: Enable Privacy for this program?This one, the only thing I can think of is that this program is not recorded in Logs? Is this correct? Or does this setting make an attempt to hide the program that is on the system?<HR>This is the ad and cookie blocking in the Privacy section of the program.<HR>Authentication:Authenticate components: for most this one is already setAuthenticate program by full path name only: is this one a more secure setting and does this mean, what I think it means... that the program is verified by the location of the program in the system.Example: that ZA verifies that the program accessed is from say: c:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zclient.exeIs this right?<HR>This is where you decide if ZA is going to figure the MD5 signature of the file, or just make sure the location is the same as it was the last time the program was run. <HR>Enable Passlock: This is basically where the program has access to run even if ZA is locked.Should Anti-Virus programs have this setting applied?<HR>Yes. But if the firewall is setup properly, then you don't need the lock as it will add no more security to the computer than what the firewall is already providing. </BLOCKQUOTE>
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

learner2020 Guest

Thanks.
    That explained a lot.
    So, switching to Authenticate Program by full path only, should tighten security and make sure that ZA correctly recognizes the program that is actually being ran, right?
    So, switching to Authenticate program by full path only is actually a better setting to use than Authenicate components or should both be used ?
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Learner2020 wrote:
    Thanks.That explained a lot.So, switching to Authenticate Program by full path only, should tighten security and make sure that ZA correctly recognizes the program that is actually being ran, right?So, switching to Authenticate program by full path only is actually a better setting to use than Authenicate components or should both be used ?Thanks
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Authenticate Program by full path only is actually a downgrade of protection. Doing it this way ZA only looks at the location of the file. Doing it the other way its checking the MD5 checksum, which changes everytime the file changes. Even if you change a 0 to a 1 in the file, the MD5 signature changes, but the path will remain the same. The same applies for components. Usually the path authentication is used for programs that update often, and that's it.Make Sense?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information