Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open attachments

johncw Guest

Default Can't open attachments

Whether using webmail or Outlook attachments can't be found.
    They can be saved then opened.
    If I turn OFF Zonelabs 6.1.744.001 the it works fine.
    Sounds like a dodgy setting.Can anyone help please?John.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Can't open attachments

Try turning off the incoming Mail Safe feature and see if you can then open your attachments. Post back your results.

johncw Guest

Thanks for your help.

I have turned off Incoming Mail Safe and I still can not open attachments.

billc Guest

Help me understand. You can see the attachments, download & open them, but you can't just open an attachment, correct? It sounds to me like your Mail Safe feature is corrupt and I thought turning it off would help. I don't know of a setting that is wrong and I think a reinstall will fix the problem. First, uninstall your ZASS this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now download a fresh ZASS to install.

johncw Guest

You are correct.
    In Webmail or Outlook I can see the attachments.
    When I try to open them it recognises the file type, so a .doc file would autoimatically open WORD the I get a message saying the file can not be found or the file can not be opened depending up on which program I am in.
    If I turn off ZA all works fine.

If I reinstall ZASS what details to I need to note, e.g. Registration Key or the like.

By the way, you help is much appreciated.

billc Guest

Al you need to do is follow the directions I posted. the /clean switch allow ZASS to be uninstalled completely including it's various files. This will then permit you to reinstall anew , not "on top of" a previous installation. Unless you have a problem, you'll not need to enter your registry.

johncw Guest

I meant the Licence Number.

johncw Guest

Bad News.
    I did everything you advised to the letter.
    All went well.
    But when I tried to open an attachment, a .doc file, I get told can't open attachment.

It's
    a holiday this weekend over here in England and I'm off to a little island just off the south coast until Monday.
    So any suggestions you may have can not be actioned until then.

Please keep helping.

billc Guest

I wanted to answer this for other users as well. Your license key is kept in a different location and is not removed with a "clean" uninstall.

billc Guest

Is it just .doc attachments or any attached files? Can you right click on the attachment and select 'open with' ?

Hope you enjoyed the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information