Thread: Windows Time Synchronization

rjmat Guest

Default Windows Time Synchronization

ZA Pro is continuously blocking attempts by W32Time to synchronize the machine time with 207.46.130.10 and 207.46.232.18. How can I make ZA to allow this to happen?Thank you,Bob

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

douginalaska Guest

Default Re: Windows Time Synchronization

I've noticed the same warning in Event Viewer under System.
    What's with this anyway?

craebild Guest

I encountered the same problem. ZoneAlarm is blocking Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (which W32time often needs), and unblocking Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is a bad idea, so that is not a solution.

However, Symmetricom (a California company that makes reference clocks and time server equipment) offers the free program SymmTime, which can update the Windows clock without the user having to allow any unwise connection rights. It also allows the user to have multiple clocks shown, which is convenient if you have to communicate with people in other time zones.

SymmTime can be downloaded from here: http://www.ntp-systems.com/lp_SymmTime2006.asp

SymmTime is free, and there is no mention on their web page or in the EULA that it is only free for private individuals, so it seems fair to assume that it is also free for corporate use.

bizzibizbiz Guest

The way that I handled this problem was by adding Windows Time Synch IP address to the trusted zone.
    In Zone Alarm select the Firewall tab (on the left).
    Then click the Zones tab at the top.
    In the bottom right click add and then IP address.
    Select Trusted from the pull down box, enter the IP address and put something meaningfull like maybe the word "Time" in the description box and your done.
    Oh yeah, and make sure you hit apply before you close it or it won't work.
    Bizzi

zafzap Guest

Has anyone else considered or tried either of these solutions?

Hi!the simplest solution is to change the server, windows.com has issues and delays that causes the dropping from ZA.Change the server to, for example, "time.a-nist.gov" and it will constantly work.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information