Thread: CVS stopped working

Hybrid View

fiery Guest

Default CVS stopped working

After installation of ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.1.744.001 our Cygwin CVS 1.11 server using inetd on port 2401 stopped to work at all. When we try to connect the cvs server inetd closes the connection immediately. We allowed the inetd to act asserver and to start cvsbut with no success. Even shutting down the ZoneAlarm doesn't solve the problem. After uninstallation of ZoneAlarm Security Suiteour cvs server ran properly again.So we reinstalled ZoneAlarm Security Suite and the problem appeared again. Note that we tried ZoneAlarm Antivirustrial and cvs worked fine.Then we purchased ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but now our cvs doesn't work. How could we solve this problem? It seems it's outside the ZoneAlarm configurations since even with stopped ZoneAlarm the problem persists.

Message Edited by fiery on 06-01-2006 02:51 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: CVS stopped working

Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the setup you're using so I may be way off base. Having said that, have you tried opening port 2401?

fiery Guest

We use CVS 1.11 with inetd configured as pserver on port 2401 (both working under cygwin 1.3.22). (We use inetd only for the cvs server) Now, with installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite inetd works fine and port 2401 is opened. But when we try to connect to cvs through the inetd it closes the connection immediately. Here is an example with telnet:

>telnet localhost 2401
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to server-xp.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

Most probably inetd can't start cvs due to afile error. We noticed also that since installation of ZoneAlarm Security Suite the Event viewer is filled with warnings from inetd for a "bad file descriptor". It seems that the problem is somehow related to the anti-spyware module since with ZoneAlaram Antivirus trial everything worked fine. The problem persists even if we shut-down Zone Alarm. After the ZoneAlarm Security Suite uninstallationcvs server ran fine again.

billc Guest

On an issue like you described, I think your best source for a possible solution is Zone Labs Technical Support . Give them details as you have here. It normally takes 24 to 48 hours for a technician to respond. Sorry, but I'm not sure what might be causing the 'conflict' when ZASS is installed.

Thread Information