Thread: How can I change the ZA Pro settings for this to function properly? Please help.

jorgebigfoot Guest

Default How can I change the ZA Pro settings for this to function properly? Please help.

Hallo,I have a very specific problem.If I turn off the ZA Pro, this application works fine. If I turn it back on, it does not.This application can only be tested between 9 am through 10 pm Paris / Berlin time Monday through Friday, as it is financial markets related.Application: go to www.db-xm.com
    Click on Germany (left)
    Accept the disclaimer
    On the horizontal dark blue bar go to Tools, then Real-push Watchlist
    Log in, use jorge.bigfoot@bigfoot.com and password = bigfootWhat you see now are two financial products. If the ZA Pro is off, these products are 'blinking' away i.e. the price refreshes roughly every 20 seconds. When ZA Pro is on, the the prices still blink, but only every 90 seconds and besides that the prices and the times shown are incorrect.So far, I have taken the following remedies, though without success: Under Privacy, site list I have given green ticks and all options unticked for the follwoing sites:x-markets.sh03.de
    www.db-xm.com
    www.de.x-markets.db.com
    collect.finanzen.deIn addition, I have also TRIED to (possibly unsuccessfully) to open up the port 4711 which is supposed to be the active port for this application.Yet, my problems remain. Any chance you could help please.Thanks so much.Kind regards,Jorge

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: How can I change the ZA Pro settings for this to function properly? Please help.

Hi!

Is there a router involved? Perhaps the port forwarded in the router is required? Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jorgebigfoot Guest

Default Re: How can I change the ZA Pro settings for this to function properly? Please help.

Hallo Oldsod,

Thanks for your answer. Upon receiving it, I disconnected my WIRELESS (whihc goes through a router)and tried the same through the dial-up, just to experience the same problem. If you disengage your ZA Pro and try for yourself, you will see how it is supposed to work (price changing every 20 seconds or so). And then if you turn ZA Pro back on, it all stops again. So: how can I tell ZA Pro to give this very application a break and let it go through as it should. Many thanks. Jorge

Hi jorgebigfoot!

Lets start from the very beginning and work things step by step.

1) Since there is a router(s) involved, I assume that they are capable of SPI besides the NAT, Wireless besides a wired implies double routing? Any conflicts? Are port open or just forwared for these particular sites? This attempt may not be required anyways, besides being undesireable in terms of internet security.

2) Browser (I asumme the IE6) has required settings in terms of Zone settings for ActiveX, cookies (from temp, session to permanent), java and javascripts? Also what has the Browser got for the server rights in the Program List in the ZA?

Has changing the server rights for the browser been tried?

3) Site List-using the Custom, has webbugs, activeX, java, javascripts, headers, all cookies allowed, VB scripts or a complete freedom of all controls been tried for these sites?

4) Java, in the Control Panel of Windwos, may require caching? Perhaps things here (beyond my scope) are required?

5) Any adjustments for the Flash or Macro players required?If neither are able to be opened for these sites, then perhaps not.

6a) The PC is behind a very capable router? If so, try putting the Internet Zone (in Firewall) from High down to Medium. Contrary to the many other ZA users opinions, SPI/NAT is in fact providing an excellent barrier from the Internet. Adjusting this from High to Nedium does not pose any security risk. Perhaps the very same is required for the Trusted Setting; putting the Trusted Zone from High to Medium does not pose any security risk either.
    6b) What are the exact differences between the Windows firewall and the ZA firewall to be able to have any influence on this issue. Outbound control and allowing the returning Inbound connection are the only two main differences. The changes suggested in this reply should, hopefully, compensate for these two differences.

7) Site limitations. Any responses about this particular issues from the site administrator? If any answer contains something like "it is the ZA problem", then perhaps the easiest/quickest answer is just the laziest answer. It maybe that this issue has been seen before and solved beforehand.The answer may also lie here.

8) Internet itself. Any inquires about this made to the provider? Or are they able to understand the issue and provide some form of response?

No more suggestions, TTYL!
    Oldsod

BTW Since you are a subscriber to ZA, what has an email to the ZA Support yielded? They are the paid experts and you are entitled to receive the professional knowledge that they can dispense.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-12-2006 02:10 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jorgebigfoot Guest

Hi there,Thanks for that very long email. Many of ths issues raised are beyond my present IT comprehension-shame on me.Nonetheless: my issue is I have an application that works fine with ZA Pro off, but it does not work with ZA Pro on. And I want to tell ZA Pro to let through.Re ZA Support Centre. I sent them my query, but they got carried away with licence issues and geogrpahic limitations. I have no clue where my brother got the ZA Pro licence on this laptop, and ZA Support wants me to turn to my local country support. My problem is: I travel constantly and hardly spend more than 2 days in any one country or any one week on the same Continent. Hence, ZA Pro can not fgiure out where they should direct me - which I consider quite a provinicial behaviour, to say the least.Well, if all fails I will just turn ZA Pro off or delete it from my laptop.Thanks anyway.Regards, Jorge

Hi! Perhaps the reset the ZA database method is a possible solution?

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=34151

Please clean ZA Cache and also use the Disk Cleanup after doing this. All previuos data will be erased and the ZA now sees everything from a new slate. Personally I do not tolerate any uncooperative software- I have experienced a download/install/uninstall all in the same hour. Easy come easy go! There are a multitude of free and pro firewalls which do fantastic jobs! Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information