Thread: Spyware Doctor and smss.exe

helpinghand Guest

Default Spyware Doctor and smss.exe

I run ZoneAlarm Pro Personal Firewall on my version of Windows XP Pro SP2 and everytime I start up Spyware Doctor, ZoneAlarm greets me with this dialogue box to take action:

SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR:
    Spyware doctor is trying to communicate with \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe by opening its process.
    Application: swdoctor.exe

Allow | Deny

I have just been clicking Allow and have given Spyware Doctor full Trusted & Internet Priveleges, yet each time I start up Spyware Doctor I receive this warning and question.

Is this normal and to be expected? I want to make sure that some virus/spyware hasn't done anything to my smss.exe file or whatnot. Should I just keep clicking "Allow"?? Sometimes I get another 'Suspicious Behavior' warning right after the one I posted above, basically saying the same thing except it adds some wierd parameters after the smss.exe filename in the filepath like so:

SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR:
    Spyware doctor is trying to communicate with \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe "", process','"" by opening its process.
    Application: sdhelp.exe

Allow | Deny

What is all this and is it safe to click "Allow"? Thanks for your help and support.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Spyware Doctor and smss.exe

Hi,

PLEASE try the following fix.
    A database reset will fix the problem if Zone Alarm is the problem in the first place. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

BTW, I have almost the same setup as yours,except I have Windows XP Home SP1. The above solution should correct your problem. Recently there has been updates with Spyware Doctor, little more than the data base updates. I have received the same warnings like you and Allow the request, with no more alerts from Spyware Doctor. If you feel uneasy about some type of nasty malware hiding inside your computer, just run some online scans to make sure you are completely clean. I usually cross check all my security programs weekly, just to make sure everything is clean. Here are a couple of sites, if you are interested.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.ewido.net/en/

Hopefully I answered all your questions, if not PLEASE post back, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

helpinghand Guest

Hey SlyFox... thanks for the reply and help. I will do as you say. As far as the "suspicious behavior" warnings I am getting.. these are normal, correct? Though I certainly want to get rid of the 'nuissance' of having to answer these windows all the time, I certainly want to make sure I don't have a spyware/trojan on my computer causing it. I have run scans with all my major spyware/virus apps and have no infected files.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi HelpingHand,

Yes, they are normal, as the Smart Defense feature is just letting you know about it. Now, if you didn't have Spyware Doctor, then I would tell the Smart Defense feature - NO, NO, NO, BLOCK IT. That's why I keep my Smart Defense feature on Manual settings, so this way I can make the final decision what to block and what not to block.

Hopefully I answered all your questions and if you have anymore, PLEASE post back, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Thread Information