Thread: Zone Alarm losing settings after shutdown

derekl Guest

Default Zone Alarm losing settings after shutdown

I have ZoneAlarm Pro v. 6.5 running under Windows XP Pro and I am having problems with ZA losing the launch ZA at startup setting.
    I periodically run sweeps of my system to fix Windows problems and check for viruses, and I have to shutdown all my active programs to avoid conflicts.

After shutting down ZA, running my checks and then restarting ZA, I find that the check box for enabling the program to start at boot-up is blank.

I have tried shutting down ZA and then starting the program back up without running my system checks and I see the same problem.

Could this problem be a bug within ZoneAlarm or some sort of software conflict?

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm losing settings after shutdown

Sounds like your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and needs resetting. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

derekl Guest

Bill thanks for the advice. I have not had time to try it yet. I will let you know in a few days.

vivekm Guest

I have had the exact same problem for the past few days, only worse. It's not just Zone Alarm but all of my startup programs lose the 'load at startup' setting upon shutdown (including Anti Virus and everything else- but these two are the only ones I'm concerned about).

I've done some digging around and realised any changes to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURR ENTVERSION\RUN are not saved (the next time I power up, it's again empty!). Temporarily, the workaround I'm working with is to put shortcuts to the Zone Alarm client and Anti Virus in the startup folder!

I'm unsure if my post even belongs here since its not Zone Alarm that appears to be causing trouble! But any help would be greatly appreciated; formatting and re-installing is just too much pain! Thanks!

Message Edited by VivekM on 08-08-2006 11:42 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro

derekl Guest

Bill, I tried your procedure and it fixed the problem. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

DerekL

derekl Guest

Oops...I spoke too soon. My settings problem is back. The most likely culprit is one of the diagnostic tools in SystemSuite.

davea Guest

I frequently boot up windows to see that all my settings in ZoneAlarm Free have been lost. Have newer Zone Alarms Pro's fixed this? This is extremely frustrating, as I set MANY programs (IE, for instance) to be blocked from the internet, and I really get annoyed at losing these settings every time. This has been occurring for several versions and updates of ZA (Free).

First, I'm amazed that ZA has never fixed this. They have a great product except for this. Is this a case of leaving a really nasty bug to force us to pay for the professional version? It does the opposite for me.

Second, I am looking for a way to back up my settings so that I can quickly recover from this aggravating bug. can anyone help me figure out how to back up? How about a way to avoid this in the first place?

Also, I have no database corruption entries in my event viewer, and no ZoneAlarm entries in my event viewer log at all.

Thread Information