Thread: Internet Access an Zonelabs 6.5.722

still_seeking Guest

Default Internet Access an Zonelabs 6.5.722

I'm having a problem with Zonelabs and my internet access. In particualr after my computer suspends.Details:After my computer resumes from and "Suspend" status I'm unable to access the internet through Explorer, Firefox or Thunderbird. I can start anyone of these applications and I simply get cannot find site or cannot load site. Without doing anything else I will shutdown Zonelabs and I will restart anyone of the applications and I immediately gain access. While this normally happens after a suspend it will also occur after longer periods of no use. Lets say I shut down explorer for 1/2 an hour. If I then execute Explorer my access is denied, again until I shutdown Zonelabs. While I say denied i do not get any error message. The interesting thing is that once I get connected to the internet on any application I can restart Zonelabs and can continue on. One other way I found to restore connectivity, rather than shutdown Zonelabs is to unplug my router, count to 10 and plug it back in. My router is a wireless Linksys Wireless G with speed boost. In the router I run a MAC filter and WEP.Of note the machine that I'm having these connectivity problems with is a "Wired" machine. I do not have a fancy settings set in the router, just wireless security.I did a clean re-install of Zonelabs to eliminate any possible corruption. I'm running an Intel Pentium 3.0 ghz, on an ASUS P4C 800 Deluxe, 1 Gig, 2 SATA Drives with a 3COM Network adapter on the board. My operating system is windows XP service pack 2 with all upgrades and security patches. Zonelabs 6.5.722.0. I'm using basic settings on Zonelabs, no expert rules. I do restrict some programs that I feel don't need access like Installshield. My home network is in the Trusted zone.I'm really stumped here. Suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Internet Access an Zonelabs 6.5.722

Try adding the ip's of the DHCP and DNS servers to the trusted zone of ZA. Follow this link.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=23056#M23056 <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">If after that you still have problems try another workaround. In firewall, main, internet zone security click custom and then in the new window check 'Allow outgoing DHCP/DNS'.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">Best regards

still_seeking Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. I added my DCHP server and this did not fix the situation. Before I add the DNS server am I not by default reducing my security by adding an IP address outside my network. Granted it is my ISP's address but if someone hacks to their server are they not by default now granted access to my network as I've placed them in the trusted zone??I guess I have the same question about adding a generic permission to allow outbound DCHP and DNS traffic. Does this not compromise Zonelabs capabilities to control outbound traffic which is supposed to be one of its selling features?Sorry for sounding so cautious but given I run all this security I would sure hate to compromize it because of a software bug in Zonelabs.ThanksKen

ad_hock Guest

What you are doing is making easier the dialog with your DHCP servers and the DNS servers.This needs to be done (even if you don't add to trusted zone) as after querying local host svchost.exe needs to contact your DNS servers to resolve names to ip addresses.It's not always necessary to dothis workaround but when there are connectivity issues,it works most times.The outgoing DHCP/DNS is the same, you need to get ip renewal from DHCP and DNS for resolution.I don't see you jeopardise your security with this quite common fix.Use a map to process mapper,for example the free TCPView from Sysinternals and you'll see svchost.exe permanently listening or connecting with your DNS servers in port 53.Best regards

still_seeking Guest

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure. My DCHP ip is my router address, which is Linksys's standard address and my DNS is my cable company's unique address. I will give it a try. Thanks again.

ad_hock Guest

You're welcomeBest regards

Thread Information