Thread: Alert window hidden - locks computer

flyemj Guest

Default Alert window hidden - locks computer

I just installed the newest version of ZoneAlarm Pro and now when I open programs that ZA has alerts on, it locks the computer. At first I thought it was the program because I cannot see the alert window. It happens on all programs that I have not told ZA to trust always. But since I cannot see the alert, I cannot tell ZA to allow. The only way I found out is I hit ctrl-alt-del and the alert window showed up. However, I still cannot select allow because the computer only unfreezes for a moment.ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.722.000TureVector security engine version 6.5.722.000Anyone else have this problem; know a fix?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Alert window hidden - locks computer

<blockquote><hr>flyemj wrote:
    I just installed the newest version of ZoneAlarm Pro and now when I open programs that ZA has alerts on, it locks the computer. At first I thought it was the program because I cannot see the alert window. It happens on all programs that I have not told ZA to trust always. But since I cannot see the alert, I cannot tell ZA to allow. The only way I found out is I hit ctrl-alt-del and the alert window showed up. However, I still cannot select allow because the computer only unfreezes for a moment.

ZoneAlarm Pro version 6.5.722.000
    TureVector security engine version 6.5.722.000

Anyone else have this problem; know a fix?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

<hr></blockquote>

Hi flyemj and welcome to the Zone Alarm Users forum.

Which programs did you tell the ZA not to trust? The quick fix is to enter the Safe Mode and open the C\WINDOWS\Internet Logs and delete the IAMDB.RDB and the BACKUP.RDB files and then empty the Recycle Bin. Do not enable the ZA in the Safe Mode. Reboot.

Tell us which processes were set as untrusted. Many or most of the Windows components should be set at least as Trusted or Super. However, when the restart happens after the deletion in the Safe Mode, just let the SmartDefense Advisor in the Program Control (set it at Manual or Automatic) do the magic for you!

Hope this helps you and please repost.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

flyemj Guest

I already tried resetting the database. It didn't work. I have not set any programs to "not trust." I am trying to tell it to trust the program, or at least I would if I could see the pop-up and the computer didn't lock up.Can I revert back to the previous version? I didn't have any problems with that one.

socalreviews Guest

Try adjusting your ZoneAlarm OS Firewall settingsas suggested by Guru Jarvis in this post:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=10361

flyemj Guest

Well I've narrowed it down to the OS firewall. If I turn it off, no problems. I tried playing with the settings; I changed the "change the hosts files" to "use program settings" and "allow" but neither worked. The others didn't seemed to apply so I did not mess with them.I am trying to run Quicken 2003 Deluxe edition. The problem occurs with other programs but I use quicken as my test case. Quicken is in my list of program control programs. With the OS firewall on,I checked allow on the "change the hosts files", I actually could see the alert window this time and it said, "Quicken.exe is attempting to monitor user activities..."But it was locked up so I could not click "allow." Hard reboot.Bottom line, the OS firewall is messing with the system, so I will have to use ZA with the OS firewall turned off until there is a fix or I can narrow it down more.

socalreviews Guest

Great work at debugging to find the source of the conflict flyemj! I am use Quicken 2006 H&B edition and have no problems with it and ZAP. It is my understanding that the newer Quicken version use the IE browser to access the internet but I am not sure about previous versions. This might be why the OS firewall is blocking it. If you go into the ZA Program Control > Programs and change the SmartDefense to manual and trust level to III for the Quicken 2003 program and its components then you should not have a problem with this. You should also make sure that it has access to the proper Zones under ACCESS an SERVER if it needs internet access to do updates or to download account information. These are the proper configurations to change to allow programs to work with ZA but sometimes finding a solution that works is more difficult.

The Hosts file fix in Guru Jarvis's post applies more to other antispyware programs that monitor and change the Windows hosts file as a way to block malware but I posted it because I thought that you might be able to track down a conflict with other security software that you are running. There might be another configuration change that will allow you to re-enable the rest of the ZA OS firewall so don't give up on this issue. Keep us updated on your future results and check back in the forum to see if any other contributors have more suggestions for you.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-29-2006 02:28 PM

flyemj Guest

Thanks SoCalReviews, I tried what you said and was able to turn the OS firewall back on. I really appreciate the help...and now I know what to look for on other programs.

socalreviews Guest

You are welcome flyemj! Thank you again for posting back with your results!

Take care,

hayseed Guest

I understood that you should not run both OS Firewall and ZA, but here you are. Is that the recommended process?

socalreviews Guest

Hello HAYSEED, I think you are confusing the terminology that is being used. The OS Firewall is an operating system firewall component in ZoneAlarm versions 6.x and later that you can turn on, off, or change its settings (in the paid versions). The OS Firewall component of ZoneAlarm is used to monitor and control access to your critical Windows system files and internet settings as a way of protecting it against undesirable changes that malware can cause. I think what you were trying to say in your post is that you should only use one software based networking firewall at a time and that usually means a software networking firewall that monitors and controls network traffic to and from your computer.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 09-05-2006 07:29 PM

Thread Information