Thread: Program Control List -- Cannot Add a New Program

tuffsubject Guest

Default Program Control List -- Cannot Add a New Program

I'm trying to add the VProSvc.exe program (norton ghost) to the program control list (ZA Security Suite, 6.5.737.000) so this program
    can send emails when it has encountered an error.
    This program is showing up on the ZA log as being blocked from accessing my SMTP server.
    I went
    to the Program Control List to change the properties to allow it to send email, but the program is not there.
    When I try to manually add it there, everything looks like it's being added, but when i go back to the list, it is not there.
    I'm not sure how to get this program to be allowed to access the email server if I can't get it into the PCL.

Any ideas?
    Is it possible the PCL is "full"?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Program Control List -- Cannot Add a New Program

As best I can figure out, the Program Control List can never get full. Unless you do a clean-up once and awhile, it will grow and grow. Now let me ask a question. When you go to your Program control, click on the 'add' button, navigate to VProSvc.exe, then add it to the list, does it then appear on the list? If it does, then adjust your settings the way you wish for VProSvc.exe, then right click on your ZASS icon in your system tray, select 'shutdown ZASS, wait about 1 minute, then open ZASS again. Is the newly added VProSvc.exe still there on the list?

tuffsubject Guest

When I click "add", ZASS pops up a dialog box showing me the "Program Files"
    folder.
    I navigate to the norton ghost folder, find the program and select it.
    But when that dialog box closes and ZASS returns me to the list, the new program
    is not there.
    It's as though I hadn't even done anything.
    I've closed/opend ZASS, nothing is different.
    If I could see it in the list, I could then do the "allow email" as you describe.
    I'm anxious and ready to do that!
    :8}
    When I configure Norton Ghost to send email notifications for errors, when it tries to send a test message, I get this error in the ZASS log:

High 2006/11/03 12:57:30-6... Program Access VProSvc.exe 209.10.110.64... Outgoing (connect) Blocked
    And, I see this pop-up alert from ZASS:

ZoneAlarm Security Alert

Blocked

Service Module has been blocked from sending e-mail

messages. Use the Programs List to allow Send Mail

permissions for this program.

Program: Service Module

Time: 11/3/2006 12:53:44 PM

Hi

Are the sites (the receiving address) included in the Privacy Site List? Are the Email controls possibily conflicting or need adjusting (check the Custom or Advanced buttons)?

Are the Liveupdate features from Symantec, in any way, involved with it's sending an Email?

Please forgive since I do not really understand how the Nortons operates.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tuffsubject Guest

Since the ZoneAlarm firewall log and alert message specifically refer to the Program List as being the culprit, and the specific name of the program is in the ZA firewall log, I'm pretty certain that getting that program in the Program List and enabling that program to send
    email is the solution.

I just don't understand why ZA won't add the program to the list.

billc Guest

With what you've described it sounds to me like your ZASS Program database is corrupt and will not accept manual program entries. I'd like to suggest you reset your database but first make a back-up in case this is for naught. Go to your ZASS > Overview > Preferences panel where you can back-up and save your settings and permissions. Now do a database reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.<.br>Now see if you can manually add the program. If not, you can always restore all your previous settings.

tuffsubject Guest

Solved.
    The program was actually showing up in the list as &quot;Service Program&quot;, and not VSvcPro.exe.
    I was able to change that one to allow it to send email and all works fine now.

I didn't find this out before I first deleted all programs in the Program Control List, forcing ZASS to re-build the list and re-confirm access via alerts to me with each program being run.
    That's probably good that I did that anyway, because there was a lot of junk in there from one-time-programs that have run in the past.

Thread Information