Thread: High CPU Utilization by Firefox in conjuction with ZoneAlarm Security Suite

yangtheman Guest

Default High CPU Utilization by Firefox in conjuction with ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Hi,

I've tried to search the forum for the same situation, but couldn't quite find it.

I just recently installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.737.000, and since then, as long as I have Firefox loaded (even if no page is opened), CPU utilization of Firefox peroidically spikes up to 80~100% for a few seconds and goes down to less than 5%. When I exit ZoneAlarm, it does not happen. I uninstalled and installed Firefox both 1.5 and 2.0 versions, but I have the same problem. It does not happen with IE or Opera.

Can anyone please help me here?

I run Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

escalader Guest

Default Re: High CPU Utilization by Firefox in conjuction with ZoneAlarm Security Suite

I was curious since I also have FF and IE plus ZA Pro.

Using task master I have 40 processes running and if you tab on performance a graph appears.

If one does nothing at all the cpu % spikes up and down independently on it's own. I also tried IE load unload and FF load and unload with and without ZA running and also got spikes in all cases.

My conclusion is that there is no problem since as tasks are started and stopped CPU % will spike.

You may have a slower cpu I don't know but that as well could be an issue.

To speed up I have found that a cclean and a defrag will make a big difference to CPU performance.

It is possible you have a virus/trojan but if you are as security aware to be here that is unlikely.

You don't likely have a problem.

yangtheman Guest

Default Re: High CPU Utilization by Firefox in conjuction with ZoneAlarm Security Suite

No, there is an issue, because I didn't have this problem before installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite (not Pro).

And spike happens periodically and lasts for 2~3 seconds. When nothing is running, there is no reason for anything to take up CPU cycle except the idle process.

I've run all kinds of anti-spyware (Spybot, Ad-aware, etc.) and anti-virus software (AVG and ZoneAlarm), but couldn't find any threats....

escalader Guest

As mentioned earlier:

"If one does nothing at all the cpu % spikes up and down independently on it's own. I also tried IE load unload and FF load and unload with and without ZA running and also got spikes in all cases"

Tasks are always running. These programs don't wait for us to click something. There are OS tasks and subcomponents that run on their own all the time.

With all your applications shut down, leaving only windows active when you look at task master graph is there a flat line saying 0% utilization?

Thread Information