Thread: Printing to a network printer

thez Guest

Default Printing to a network printer

Been at this a while, still no joy. I've searched this and all forums for related posts, yet they all suggest things that don't work. I've also noted others with this same problem who have posted in the various forums with no joy either.
    Situation:
    -XP SP2, ZASS 6.5 (latest <7)-Yes, I've actually re-nistalled a few times thinking this would help, including a full, clean install.-An HP 6300 Inkjet printer with an Ethernet NIC on it. That is to say, I am not connecting to it via another computer.-The printer is on my local LAN (same LAN as the computer), which is in the "Trusted zone". IP: 10.123.123.123.-I have added not just the LAN as Trusted, but also the printer's IP address.-My DNS is in the Internet Zone, as many with DSL do.-Settings for spoolsv and svchost are the same:
    -Full rights for Trusted and Internet zones
    -Expert Rules:2;

-Permit (both ways, to and from) Trusted, My Computer, DNS Servers (in Internet Zone), and that printer(which is already in Trusted, I know).

-Deny all, with alert & logging.-Firewall -> Main -> Internet Zone Security: High
    -only "Allow Broadcast/Multicast" is checked.-Firewall -> Main ->
    Trusted Zone Security: Medium
    -nothing is checked (blocked).-OS Firewall off.
    This works, BTW, fine for everything else. There are no other exotic setings, as all else works fine.
    In the logs, any connectivity attempts with the printer are logged as:
    ZoneAlarm Logging Client v6.5.737.000
    Windows XP-5.1.2600-Service Pack 2-SMP[...]ACCESS,2007/01/04,12:51:04 -5:00 GMT,Spooler SubSystem App was denied Internet access because of one or more modules (10.123.123.123:Port 9100).,N/A,N/A
    ACCESS,2007/01/04,12:51:18 -5:00 GMT,Spooler SubSystem App was denied Internet access because of one or more modules (10.123.123.123:Port 161).,N/A,N/A
    Typical ZA verbosity and clarity!
    User sees this in Alerts & Logs -> Log Viewer -> Programs as spoolsv.exe, and nowhere else.
    I still can't print unless I take ZASS out of memory. So to work around this, I have to print a PDF to a flash drive, walk over to a computer running ZASS-but with a printer connected via USB), and print from there. Silly, eh?
    I'd like to think that I've put forth the requisite amount of research and frustration prior to posting here, but I'd appreciate anyone proving me wrong.
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by TheZ on 01-06-200705:56 PM

Default Re: Printing to a network printer

First, you don't need any expert rules, so you can delete them. Try one thing to see if it works. Take the internet zone security and put it on medium and see if it will print. The part about ZA and memory, you are just talking about turning ZA off correct? Not uninstalling it? Let me know if turning down the internet zone works.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

thez Guest

Hoov,
    Thanks for writing!
    First, you don't need any expert rules, so you can delete them.
    Well, for svchost.exe I do, as my DNS servers are in the Internet Zone and I have no interest in adding them as trusted. Either way, this printer is on the trusted zone.
    Try one thing to see if it works. Take the internet zone security and put it on medium and see if it will print.
    Let me know if turning down the internet zone works.

Interesting suggestion, but the symptoms remained. As the printer is in the trusted, should this have changed anything? Also, I can "see" this printer's queue from XP. There is no indication of any communication problems, that is. It is just a plain old HP 6310.
    The part about ZA and memory, you are just talking about turning ZA off correct? Not uninstalling it?
    Yes. Forgive me for not being clearer. By out of memory I meant out of RAM.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry I didn't come back sooner, I had this one marked to send me an e-mail and it never go to me. Something that will make this easier is if you backup your settings using the backup utility, and e-mail them to me. You can get my e-mail from my profile. Just click on my name. This way I can see all the settings you have, and make sure its all kosher, and not spend a month going back and forth here.

mrnapa Guest

Would you please post any "solution" to the original poster's query. I am able to print to my HP AiO C5180, but I cannot scan unless I shutdown ZoneAlarm. Thanks.

Is your program control on auto?

thez Guest

Hoov,
    Is your program control on auto?
    Nope! I have never, ever done that. I ask only for suggestions/reccomendations. ZA typically never knows about any of the access attempts, anyway. You know, the generic, useless message on the website.
    Thanks for taking a look at this, BTW!

sunderbear Guest

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm having problems printing to my networked printer.
    Here's my ZA info:
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.408.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.408.000
    Driver version:7.0.408.000
    I have set up an IP Range in the trusted zone for 192.168.0.0-192.168.254.254 so, theoretically it should allow connectivity to my printer at 192.168.15.103. I have also tried adding my printer as a host/site and as an IP address to no avail. Looking through the help files I found an entry about unblocking ports; however, in the version of ZA that I have there is no option to enable a "custom rule". Any insight you might be able to give regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thread Information