Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm has update constantly running?

bridezilla Guest

Default Zone Alarm has update constantly running?

Hello. I have ZA Security Suite 6.5, and for the past 6 hours and currently, when I move my mouse to the Zone Alarm icon in the tray, there is an arrow going from bottom to top in the icon, and the words - Update is running - appear. How is it possible that an update keeps running for 6 + hours? If the program is actually updating it should not take over 6 hours, since I have pretty fast internet with Verizon FIOS. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you for your time. Cindy

Operating System:Windows XP Pro x64
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Zone Alarm has update constantly running?

Hi!have you tried to re-boot your system and see if you still get the updater running?Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bridezilla Guest

I will try that and let you know. It has happened several times now, and thank you for the reply.
    Cindy

rick_koenig Guest

Cindy,
    I'm getting the same behavior, even after a reboot. Not immediately after, but next update time it seems to go on indefinitely.
    I'm going to guess you'll get the same thing - first it will clear up after the reboot, but eventually it will need to update again, and then we're off to the races once more.
    As an old programmer, I know glitches can occur, and it could be a false indicator, something that didn't clear after the update completed.
    But if in fact it really *IS* updating all this time, that's quite a resource drain on my poor laptop.
    And frankly it makes no sense. No update should take
    THAT long.
    I'm running a fairly current system, not so outdated that it would
    take forever.
    I wonder if there's some way to tell if an update is actually in progress within Task Manager? Maybe someone knows the name of the process that would be
    running.
    I'll be keen to hear your results and any other comments from the community.
    Rick

bridezilla Guest

Hi Rick,

That is exactly what happens to me! After reboot it's okay, but it starts up again, and runs indefinitely. While it's updating I wonder if it's monitoring the internet or not, do you know?

My system is not quite a year old (old in computer technology, yes), but it has an amd 3800 x 2 (64) cpu set up, 250 Mb hard drive, 1 Gig RAM, and I'm adding another 2 myself later tonight, because I feel like my computer is slowing down. It can take up to 4 gb in RAM, and I just bought 2 identical Kingston (1 gig each) to put in. Someone told me to remove the two 512's that came installed, and put the two new in the first 2 slots, with the 512 behind or after.

Anyway, I would like to find out what makes it do the indefinite update, and let me know please if you find you can control it for the task manager. It is possible that the long update is why I think my computer is slowing down.

Cindy

Hi!do you have any other security tool installed? It may conflict with ZASS. Please list them.You may want to try a clean uninstall/install (keep note of your license). Please see here how to do it:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlInstall with default/recommended settings, do not alter them.You can find the latest ZASS installer here:http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.htmlFax

bridezilla Guest

I have spy sweeper, spyware doctor, registry mechanic, windows defender, and spybot s&d. And the ZA is currently doing one of it's marathon updates.

Hi!Oh well, I see many potential software conflicting with ZASS, for example, Spyware Doctor that some at pctools forum reported to block ZASS updates apart from causing BSOD. Furthermore SD is not even easy to disable in order to work only on demand. System mechanics prior to 7.1.5 will also cause problems (don't know about registry mechanics).Unless you want to change you configuration I am afraid ZASS 7 is not a good suite for you, too many overlapping security tools.I must have a good system behind your configuration SS and SD are bloated + ZASS on top... must be huge consumption of resources.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 02-16-2007 04:03 AM

bridezilla Guest

I'm not sure what BSOD is, and I am currently using ZASS 6.5, if that makes any difference. Is there a way to disable spyware doctor from constantly running and only use it on demand? Does anyone know about registry mechanic from pctools as far as conflicts?

And yes, it is quite a load, I just tonight put in 2 gigs of RAM, identical matching sticks, DDR 3200, 400 Mghz, sorry about the incorrect abbreviation. I do not notice my computer being any faster! Maybe I should just get rid of Spyware Doctor. What about Windows defender, is it necessary? Also spybot? What do I really need, as far as what I have? Thanks for your help and info

Cindy

hammernu Guest

If anyone is still reading this thread, there are two options, both of which have worked for me. The problem is usually caused by a failed update that can't be resolved.
    1)Go to Zone Alarm, Overview, Preferences, tab:Set "Check for Updates":
    Manually,then reboot.Re-enter Zone Alarm,Overview, Preferences tab,click the "Check for Update" button,allow to complete,then set "Check for Updates": Automatically.The problem should be fixed.
    2)If the above didn't work,try a refresh install;Zone Alarm help says the problem could be a corrupted DLLon't uninstall, simply re-install
    over the existing installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information