Thread: Program Control Clean Up

keithaguard Guest

Default Program Control Clean Up

Hi There
    I have noticed that when a Program has to be
    installed for whatever reason. Details of that program remain in ZA Program Control.
    Is it possible to delete all the programs in ZA Program Control and then
    give permissions as and when Programs are
    started?
    Hope you understand this
    Thanks

Keith

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Program Control Clean Up

<blockquote><hr>keithaguard wrote:
    Hi ThereI have noticed that when a Program has to be installed for whatever reason. Details of that program remain in ZA Program Control.Is it possible to delete all the programs in ZA Program Control and then give permissions as and when Programs are started?Hope you understand thisThanksKeith

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 5.x

<hr></blockquote>

Hi:
    If I understand correctly, you want to erase all the Program Control settings and let ZA reconfigure them as they launch again or ask you for permissions, etc. Yes, you can highlight (select) them all and delete them from the program control list. Here's how: You can click on the top entry, and you will see it turn a faint blue. Now scroll down the list entry to the last item and SHIFT-click it (press shift and left click at the same time). Note: do not scroll down with the mouse-button down. Now all entries between the first one you clicked and the last one will be highlighted. Press &quot;Delete&quot; on your keyboard; answer &quot;yes&quot; to the confirmation. The Program List should now be empty. However, the entries in the component list remain. If you want to remove those, too, and start off with an even fresher start, go to the component list, highlight (select) the top entry by clicking on it, then remove the entries the same way as you did above.

If you just want to remove a few of the programs that are no longer needed, such as installation programs, update files, etc., you can click on one to highlight and press &quot;delete&quot; on your keyboard, etc. Or you can select multiple ones at a time, by clicking on the first one, and then using CTRL-click (CTRL plus left click at same time) to select additional entries, so you can delete them all at once. If the entries are all sequential order, you can use the SHIFT-click method to highlight them all, etc.

If you want to see if the program is even still on your PC, you can Right-click the entry and select &quot;properties&quot;. If it's not there, you will get a box popup that says &quot;Windows cannot locate that file&quot; which means it was a temporary install file, update file, etc. that is no longer present.

Another option: There IS a way to completely reset the entire ZA database which erases the program control list and component list, but it also resets all security settings and preferences in the ZA control panel. So this returns ZA to a state similar to right after a fresh install. You have to go through all the screens and reconfigure your preferences, etc. Also this method will not put Loopback Adapter 127.0.0.1 back into the Trusted Zone of your firewall, so you have to manually insert it after a database reset if you want it back in there. I'm not sure that 5.5 automatically places loopback adapter into the firewall trusted zone at installation (I think it may not), but the 6.x branch does, but for some reason does not after a database reset.

If you want to do a complete database reset, here's how. It's easy, but involves going into Safe Mode. You might want to review some of your settings first, so you can reset things like you want later, specifically what all you have added manually, if anything, to the Firewall|Zones screen:

1) Disconnect from Internet and reboot into Safe Mode
    2) Find the folder C:\windows\internet logs\
    3) Delete the iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb files (these will rebuild at next bootup)
    4) Empty the recycle bin
    5) Reboot back into Normal Mode
    6) Verify ZA is running. If no icon present in systray, then click Start|All Programs|Zone Labs|Zone Labs Security. Icon should now be present in systray.
    7) Open ZA control panel, go through screens and reset all your preferences. Be sure to go to Overview|Preferences and place checkmark in &quot;load ZA at startup&quot;, assuming that you, like most people, want that checked.
    8) Reconnect to the internet
    9) ZA will identify your network as a &quot;new network&quot; and ask you what zone you want it in, or will default into a zone.
    10) Check your Firewall|Zones page to be sure all is in order there. If you want Loopback Adapter 127.0.0.1 in there, you have to add it back.

BTW, if you're a paid user of ZA Pro, is there any specific reason you are using 5.5 instead of one of the versions in the 6.x branch? I use 6.1.744.001 with no problem. I had tried 6.5, which workds for most people, but I have a specific issue on an unusual customized machine, so I chose to go back to 6.1.744.001.

Well, that'a probably more than you wanted to know. But it gives you several options depending on what you want to pursue. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 03-11-200704:15 PM

Software Version:6.1

keithaguard Guest

Hi There
    Many thanks for the info.
    I have attempted to carry out the Deletions as per your advice, But when I press delete I Get a message stating that.
    &quot;One or more of the programs you are removing is a Systems Program. Removing permissions for a Systems Program could cause serious problems with your computer including crashes and internet connectivity problems. ZA Pro
    strongly recommends that you do not remove these settings.&quot;
    Is it still safe to proceed?
    Thanks
    Keith
    PS. I Missread My ZA Version Details. It should be
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200703.113
    Does this make a difference to your advice?

Regards
    Keith

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>keithaguard wrote:
    Hi ThereMany thanks for the info.I have attempted to carry out the Deletions as per your advice, But when I press delete I Get a message stating that.&quot;One or more of the programs you are removing is a Systems Program. Removing permissions for a Systems Program could cause serious problems with your computer including crashes and internet connectivity problems. ZA Pro strongly recommends that you do not remove these settings.&quot;Is it still safe to proceed?ThanksKeithPS. I Missread My ZA Version Details. It should beZoneAlarm Pro version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200703.113Does this make a difference to your advice?RegardsKeith
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Hi:
    No, the version number won't make a difference in this case. Only *some* of the programs in the list are system programs. The majority of programs listed should be applications you run on your PC. I'm not really sure why you want to delete everything including the system programs other than just &quot;starting over&quot;, but if you do, ZA will just put the system executables back in the list the next time they run, which is usually the next reboot, or sooner if you don't reboot. ZA gives that warning because you will have to reset all the permissions for them when they are reinserted. You will need to reconfigure the permissions unless you use SmartDefense Advisor set to Auto. It doesn't hurt anything to delete them, since one of the methods I presented is a complete database reset which removes all programs from the list and all components as well.

If you have any fear of deleting your settings, you can always do a backup of the settings first by going to Overview|Preferences and choosing Backup settings; these are saved to an XML file that can be used to restore from. Yours is not an uncommon request. A lot of people like to clear out the list occasionally, especially when it gets cluttered up with temporary install files, updates, etc. Selecting them en masse and deleting, or doing a database reset, is much faster than clicking on each one and deciding whether to delete it or not. If you have any that you had a hard time getting customized like you want, then leave those alone and delete other ones.

Remember when you install ZA for the first time, there is nothing in the Program List at all, just like the database reset. You won't ever catch it in an empty atate, however, since some are added by the time you look, however, because some system files are running and have been added before you can even get to the ZA control panel to look.

You had asked how to clean out all the files from the program list. It's up to you if you want to do it, and which method to use. I've done both methods before as have many others who use the forum. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 03-13-200712:05 AM

Software Version:6.1

Thread Information