Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ZA found a new network that does not have the IP address for Verizon

bridezilla Guest

Default ZA found a new network that does not have the IP address for Verizon

Hello. I have had more problems with my computer in the last 3 months than I have ever had. Just now I turned the computer on (it was in hibernate) and zone alarm pops up with "found a new network", and the IP address is not the one that Verizon Fios uses. Would someone please tell me what this means? Also, very frequently, I will go to open firefox, and it won't open any pages at all, cannot find server. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ZAIS several times now, and it's okay for a few days, then zip, can't go anywhere, do anything. Please help, I can't take it anymore. Thank you, Cindy
    (I have Internet Security suite 7.3, windows XP pro media edition, AMD dual processors at 3800 ea., hp pavilion a1430n, 1GB ram upgradeable to 4, 250 GB hard drive, GE FORCE 6150, and since I have had to reinstall the OS twice recently, an external Seagate hard drive and I back up everything)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZA found a new network that does not have the IP address for Verizon

Verizon part. If you have a router, you may have set timout after which the IP may switch. I think Windows has the same thing. Also in ZA is a setting for what to do when screen saver kicks in. Hibernation is even more severe. So, quite likely, as ZA goes to sleep during non activity, you're being disconnected. Then IP address changes when you reconnect. If you do not have a router, it will likely be Windows and/or ZA setting. So follow that path.

I use Verizon Fios also, but my public address changes much less often than under previous DSL which was about every half hour. I think it now changes for the duration of the lease, which I think I set at 1 day. My current router setting is Keep Alive and ZA is set to stop watching internet during long pauses, yet I experience no changes of the kind you describe. Previously, it was definitely due to my bad router setting.

I can't comment on your Firefox and other issues, and just hope something above might help.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-18-200711:06 PM

Default Re: ZA found a new network that does not have the IP address for Verizon

Hi Cindy

How have you been? It has been a while since our last conversation- finished school for the summer?

Okay here is my guess- either the DNS or the DHCP server IP was lost by either the PC or the ZA, during the hibernation. As zasuiteuser has said.

Was the new network found in the 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255 or the 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255 or in the 172.31.16.0-172.31.255.255 ranges?

Are the DNS and the DHCP IP listed as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA? That would probably eliminate the problem.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bridezilla Guest

Hi Right Back-
    I just graduated!!! And I slept very late today because I have been up so many nights all night studying, so I am just now seeing the messages. The Verizon IP has been in the trusted zone all along, and I should have written down the new one that it found, but I was too tired and I thought I could remember it. Now I cannot even find it anywhere in ZA. Once I have some coffee and come back to life I will search through and see what I can find, and I also need to read the response from zasuiteuser, I just clicked on you first. I'm still in a fog, but I will be back. Cindy

bridezilla Guest

I will definitely check out the router (still the same awful D-Link), and I don't even know how to set ZA to stop watching the internet during long pauses. I did a virus scan last night and once again had a Trojan, WIN downloader java c. All most every scan I run catches something and I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I guess I need someone to tell me exactly where to set every control, because obviously I am not doing it correctly. I started hibernating only because it seemed to take forever to start, and would frequently hang during start-up. Also, more often than not, I could not shut down the system, and would have to resort to the main power button.

It seems like every other day there is a new trojan/virus/malware that has attacked me and gotten in. What do I need to do to prevent some of this? I have never had the found new network come up unless I have made it happen and am aware of it. It really is driving me crazy, and I'm close enough to crazy without any external assistance. Thank you very much for your time.
    Cindy

Hi!given the description of your system status, I would warmly suggest a nice and cleanOS install.Update to latest MS patched and install a fresh copy of ZASS and all the rest afterward....Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Slow startups and slow shut downs with scanner detecting something new on every scan; is the PC sluggish when used? Some things take a longer time to open or get the job done?

Guru Fax advice for a clean reformat and reinstall does actually sound the fastest and easiest way to clean the PC. Many PC shops will do the same- at 50 dollars and hour to clean a PC for one whole day or so or reformat/reinstall at maybe 150 dollars flat rate.

I am curious. Open the task manager and post what is listed. Some of the malware will being showing, but there are lots of malware that will be still hiding as actual parts of the OS and in places that the Task Manager does not see.

As for the reformat and reinstall, go to a clean PC and download Darik's Boot and Nuke (as the CD or DVD) from

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Do not just copy the file, instead` copy the image to a cd or dvd.
    Use InfraRecorder to convert the .iso into a useable media disk.

http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

When all that is done, go into the BIOS of the infected machine and change the boot startup sequence from the harddrive to the CD/DVD drive. Now shut the PC off. Now start the PC and keep tapping F12 at the BIOS screen. Select the media drive, enter the disk into the drive and begin wiping the drive. Use the highest setting and that will be the longest time required for the harddrive erase.

By using the DBAN. the possible rootkits and hard to destroy trojans are erased. Mant rootkits and some trojans will survive a simple reformat, but almost none will survive the complete disk erase.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 05-20-2007 04:08 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Hurray!! Congratulations !! Hard school work paid off !!
    We have a new vet !!
    I need to bump the intelligence of the cat I have, any clues?

Cindy, after you get some sleep, wake up, and can think again, follow what the gurus said. Get it all clean. When did you get version 7? It might be detecting stuff you had all along. I can help you (maybe) with Verizon. ZA setup is so simple for the network, I doubt you need help.

Regarding how to set ZA, I know you're using v7, but perhaps v6.1 is similar.
    Program control > Automatic Lock > Custom > Lock when screen saver activates. Of course, this one needs screen saver job when idle, so click on the desktop, right click, then Screen saver tab, and my setting is Wait=10 minutes, on Resume display Welcome screen, password and all that hassle.

I'd be darned if I recall how hibernation is set. Hibernation doesn't work well in most laptops anyway

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 05-20-200708:10 PM

bridezilla Guest

I will take your advice, and fax guru's advice as well. I just took a look at system startup in spybot and the same blank space with a check in the box was there again. I believe zasuiteuser mentioned that he had the same problem, and when the Paul Collins blurb about what it is came up, sure enough it was that old added by the Agobot-Ku worm again. Thank goodness the last time I had problems all of you got it into my head to back everything up. Once I have reinstalled the OS after making the CD/DVD to really clean everything, if I scan each item on the external drive with zone alarm, it it safe to put it back on the C drive? I would be in big trouble without the help I have received from all of you. Before I wipe everything out I will make the task manager copy and post it. Thank you so much again, I'll be back after I do all this stuff.

Cindy

bridezilla Guest

I got a great laugh about the cat question, and thank you for the Hurray. I'm about to print out any steps that were recommended and get to work. I'll be back soon and thank you again. Cindy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information