Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 2.0 Problem with Free ZoneAlarm 7.1 and Vista

dkeat Guest

Default Firefox 2.0 Problem with Free ZoneAlarm 7.1 and Vista

Greetings!

New here. Hope I have chosen the right Forum Section for this posting.

I am a longtime user of ZoneAlarm and Firefox and never really had any problems. Recently I got a new system with Vista. Firefox worked perfectly with the Windows firewall and Vista. When ZoneAlarm for Vista came out I installed it and since then I have had trouble connecting with certain Internet sites. Not all, but some. The load just hangs and hangs. Or I get a message that Firefox is configured for a Proxy Server (which it is not). Or the connection works for a while but when I leave it inactive and go back to it it hangs when I try to use it.

I have tried a number of things:

- deleting Firefox from ZoneAlarm and letting it be rediscovered
    - deinstallation of Firefox and reinstall

These did not work. The only action that "works" is dropping the level of ZoneAlarm Program Control from Medium to Low. This seems to handle the problem. I am not sure what effect this has on my overall security. I am not that savvy a user that I can adjudicate that.

If there is anyone out there that could answer ANY of the following question it would be greatly appreciated:

1. Is there a way to set ZA (Free Version) so that this problem disappears?
    2. Is there any way to set Firefox that would make this problem disappear?
    3. Does lowering the Program Control in ZA substantially weaken my perimeter defenses against hackers/information thieves?

Many thanks!

Dave

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Firefox 2.0 Problem with Free ZoneAlarm 7.1 and Vista

Hi

As for the slider, if the PC is behind a SPI/NAT router or a NAT type of modem, then no. The security is still okay.

Are the DNS and DHCP servers listed as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall? Like this way?

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dkeat Guest

Hello Oldsod

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

You write, "if the PC is behind a SPI/NAT router or a NAT type of modem, then no. The security is still okay."
    Afraid I don't really know what those are. I have a US Robotics 9108 Wireless ADSL Gateway. The company claims that it has firewall capabilities. If that is what you are referring to?

I entered the DHCP and DNS IPs into the Truste Zone as you suggested.

The Generic Host Process DOES have the access rights you specify.

The local host (127.0.0.1) is not shown in any of the zones either under that name or IP address.

Many thanks again.

Dave

Hi

Good to learn of this. The Firefox should be working better and probably a few other applicatioms will work better as well. With the previous instructions perfromed, the slider should go back to High as it was before.

Your gateway ha the firewall enabled or is the firewall in it off? It might be a good idea to explore this further to verify the hardware firewall is working.

Cheers,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dkeat Guest

Hi Oldsod

I let the system rest for a half hour, then came back and the connection to Firefox was still there! So it looks like an old sod knows what he's talking about! Many thanks for that tip. It surprises me somewhat that ZoneAlarm doesn't automatically enter these parameters into the respective zones if they of such importance.

In your first reply you refer to "the local host process" needing to be given "trusted" status. Is this a zone element or an element found in the program management module? I was not able to locate it with that precise name or IP Address. Is this a problem?

And lastly, how old IS an Oldsod anyway?

Thanks again.

Dave

Great to hear things are working properly now.

The localhost (or often mistakenly called the loopback) has the IP of 127.0.0.1 This is the internal address of all known windows OS's (Apple and Liux OS's have different IP numbers being used, but they still have a localhost). It is strictly an internal address for the OS's own purposes and for some of the supported software. Hence,it does not do either outbound or inbound connections. Just an internal address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

The localhost IP inclusion is often missed in the ZA installation. It should always be there by default.

The ZA does see the LAN gateway or router (whichever one is doing the DHCP or appliable) but never enters the DNS server IP's by default. However, the Windows XP OS should automatically register the name server's IP (DNS) and DNS name suffix. So many times the DNS addition can and has been skipped. But it is a far better practise to always include the DNS & DHCP as Trusted in the ZA. You have your self seen what can happen by not doing so. Some users have never any issues and some do.

But it is standard practise to include the IP's of both the DNS and the DHCP in all third part software firewalls. Very few actually do a self configuration for the owner. Almost every kind of available firewalls with discover the gateway or router or the modem (if no hardware firewall is used). But only a couple with see the correct DNS server IP. Often there is a server or router doing the DNS server chore or the provider's DNS address could be dynamic not static. So the DNS IP (s) is often omitted by default for most firewalls. It often works well enough until the DNS IP(s) are properly adjusted by the owner.

As for my age... old enough to know better and still young enough to do it anyways.

Cheers,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-22-2007 12:12 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dkeat Guest

What can I say. It is all still working, so thanks for saving the day. I was about to give up on (my well-loved) Firefox and start using IE.

You seem to know what you are talking about. I certainly don't in this regard. So a bit of what you had to say about the Localhost was Chinese, but I think I get the idea. In any case I now have added it as an IP address to the Trusted Zone. I take it that is what would be optimal to do.

All the best to you!

Dave

dkeat Guest

Hi Oldsod

Me again. Just got an error message from Firefox again. The Proxy Server is refusing connections. I don't have a proxy server. Anything else I can do at this point?

Best

Dave

Hi

I thought I would not hear from you so soon.

Ok.

Since the FireFox was uninstalled and reinstalled, it is probably safe to assume the default setting were used? And not saved settings from the previous version?

The previous setting were saved or you did the install start from scratch and just saved the bookmarks file?

No "auto config proxy" checked off in the FireFox itself?

No spy site blocker or IP filtering or ad blocker other than AdBlock or NoScripts? Any special addons or extensions installed with the FireFox?

Are you using any PAC filters or XML files for DNS filtering or ad blocking with the FireFox or any of the browsers?

I'm kind of shakey here with FireFox useage, since I spend my days strictly with Opera.

Does this happen to just the FireFox and not the Internet Explorer? Correct?

Okay lets now look from it from a ZA point of view.
    What do the ZA logs show for blocked and allowed activty? This is the best tool of ant firewall, the firewall logs, to figure almost anything out or fix problems.

Any sign of TVRDEBUG files or a LSPCONFLICT file in the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder?

Was there a previously installed third party software firewall before the ZA was installed? Was the ZA just recently installed? Such as a Norton or McAfee suite that came with the PC and that was uninstalled just before hand?

I have a fix, but I want to see what has happened before and then make a proper decision.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-22-2007 02:19 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Localhost is not Chiness... it is mathematical!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information