Thread: PC retsarts when Netsupport School 8.5 connects to a zone alarm 7 machine

tombsman Guest

Default PC retsarts when Netsupport School 8.5 connects to a zone alarm 7 machine

PC retsarts when Netsupport School 8.5 connects to a zone alarm 7 machine. this didn't happen with XP SP2 firewall or with zone alarm 6.5. when zone alarm 6.5 or xp firewall are the one that is working, Netsupport School works fine.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: PC retsarts when Netsupport School 8.5 connects to a zone alarm 7 machine

What else is installed in the Netsupport School 8.5 PC - ZA 7.x?

tombsman Guest

Default Re: PC retsarts when Netsupport School 8.5 connects to a zone alarm 7 machine

win xp sp2office 2003norton ghost 2003
    i tested the net support pc with windows xp sp 2 firewall (it works fine), and with zone alarm 6.5 works fine also, the moment you upgrade and try to connect to use the show screen option, any machine that has ZA 7 or later and Netsupport School 8.5 restarts at once.

OK, the PC should be problem free networking-wise.

What is the settings for the Internet Security and Trusted zone on the ZA 7.x protected workstations?
    Normally it is High and Medium accordingly.

You could see if lowering the security on the ZA 7.x firewalls has an effect as ZA 7.x could be blocking a port or network traffic from the Netsupport School 8.5 client.

tombsman Guest

The ZA 7 settings are the default ones. i put the network in the trusted zone, but still the same problem. i made sure that net support and its componants are allowed in the ZA firewall. and i can see the clients from the monitoring screen of net support school, but when i try to show them my screen, they restart.

I find it weird, it reboots the PC instead of just crashing the application.
    Checking on their web site - there's 8.5 and 9.0 but no 8.51 so there's no updates you can download.

Tried this?
    http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/su...te=nsltd&Lang=

And does this affect you?
    http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/support/td.asp?td=280

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 07-28-2007 10:12 PM

tombsman Guest

I will try to do what they mentioned in the links you sent me. and will tell you what happened. thanx

Read the support site documentation, as I can't really help as well - it's not something we use.

gavery Guest

It's a bug in ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000, 7.0.362.000 and even 7.0.408.000 (released 2 days ago). I haven't tried 7.0.302.000. I think the latest version 6 was probably ok.

I'm a developer for NetSupport, and have identified the bug as being in the ZA code (vsdatant.sys)
    I informed them of this a week ago, but have still not received any acknowledgement from them that they acknowledge the bug or that they're going to do anything about it.

Basically their code is intercepting the loading of one our DLLs (presumably for some kind of security reasons - perhaps it does that for all DLLs that are loaded).
    The trouble is that their intercept code then crashes and because it's in kernel mode code it causes the pc to restart/bsod.
    Until they fix it, the best solution is probably to uninstall ZA and to complain to zonelabs - the more complaints they get, the sooner they'll fix it (imo).

tombsman Guest

A similer thing happened when i tried **bleep** free firewall with netsupport school 8.51. but instead of restarting, it froze.

Thread Information