Thread: not-a-virus: adware.Win32

lbaynham Guest

Default not-a-virus: adware.Win32

My daily virus check has finding 'not-a-virus:Adware.Win32.BHO.cr'
    every day for a while now and every day it politely asks me what I want to do with it. The answer is delete it, of course.
    How
    can I get it automatically deleted? It's becoming a bit tiresome.
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: not-a-virus: adware.Win32

Any location of the file? That would be your first clue.
    One the file is found and location, then google and do a registry check. There are extensive lists for Browser Helper Objects to determine what is malware and legit.

Open the WINDOWS\DownloadedProgramfiles and see if it is there.
    Open the Internet Explorer and under the Tools, check all item in the dropdown of the AddOns.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gaving Guest

Default Re: not-a-virus: adware.Win32

I have that exact
    BHO on my computer for 3 weeks now and tried 6 different spyware programs, Adaware, Spybot,AVG spyware, BHO demon etc. None would remove it or even find it
    and I even tried running them in safe mode as Zone Alarm suggested. I was going back and forward to them but the suggestions they offered were not working. What I have done to control it is the following:This BHO was opening up a startup program and was also making my browser run slow, so I stopped this program from opening on startup as I had no use for it anyway and because the BHO was located in this file, it was gone from then on when I ran Zone Alarm scan. You could also delete the program thru Add/Remove programs if you do not need it, but the trick is to find the program it is opening on startup and delete it,
    or remove it
    from startup.I exhausted a lot of time on the internet going into forums reading about this and trying all sorts of spyware programs to get rid of it and nothing would pick it up, so rather than continue searching, I figured that if I did the above, it would isolate it and it worked. Do not
    let anyone convince you
    that the BHO is in the "temp" file on your hard drive because deleting it from there will not remove it. It will only come back on bootup. This is where Zone Alarm scan was telling me it was located and also what they suggested I delete to eradicate it.What I learned about this BHO is it is not a virus but more adware/spyware and it did not harm my computer at all. It just opened the startup program on bootup and made my browser slow to close. My computer is now running fine!

Thread Information