Thread: won't stop checking for updates every hour regardless of settings

trew Guest

Default won't stop checking for updates every hour regardless of settings

talk about frustrating, playing a game, nope, it minimizes and sits there for a minute or two waiting for ZA to check for updates. Shutting down for the night, nope, you sit there are wait for ZA. Unless you
    had the misfortune of actually starting to shutdown as ZA started to check for updates, then the computer will now just hang and all you can do is turn the power off as nothing else will happen on this computer....period. Going to do some surfing, nope, you just sit there and wait for ZA, it's busy now but it'll let me use my computer when it feels like it. It's set for manual updates but that doesn't matter either. It checks, every hour automatically...talk about FRUSTRATED!!!!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: won't stop checking for updates every hour regardless of settings

there are two places that control updates and people have been known to confuse them.
    1. Overview/preferences - check for product update. This one is for new releases such as 7.0.362
    2. Antivirus/advanced options/updates - this one is for the hourly updates.
    Assuming you have the right one checked, you might consider resetting your log files.
    Boot into safe modeFind windows/internet logs and delete the rdb, ldb and tmp files.
    This resets you to the initial condition of zone alarm at first install. You'll lose any personal settings such as trusted zone and will go back to auto learn mode. Be sure to make a note of your license key - you shouldn't need it but it pays to be safe.

trew Guest

Default Re: won't stop checking for updates every hour regardless of settings

found the areas you've mentioned, they were on so I"ve turned them off. That probably will fix it. Thank you for the help.

Thread Information