Thread: Blue Screen on a reboot after I upgraded to 7

pipexuser Guest

Angry Blue Screen on a reboot after I upgraded to 7

Hello,
    Just thought I'd share this. I downloaded my free copy of ZA from my Pipex control panel (it's part of the ISP bundle). Installed it and it worked fine. I then noticed that ZA said there was a newer version so I followed the instructions and performed an upgrade. Result, BSOD everytime I reboot my laptop!!! Not good. My laptop has run solidly for over a year without a single incidence of a BSOD, I place this App on it and it was trashed with 3 minutes. Incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Fortunately I've managed to eradicate ZA
    my laptop. FYI, it was blue screening during my windows log in (which suddenly became incredibly long). Anyway (after about
    4 BSOD's), the
    delay during the log-in worked to my advantage because I managed to quickly select the uninstall option and got rid of this before I blue-screened.
    Not really interested in a followup, the App didn't work for me and really failed in the worst possible
    way (thus end'th the lesson on the pitfalls writing
    kernel mode software!!!!). It's a shame cause I used this app way back in the old Win2K days. It may be caused by incompatibilities with other software I have on my machine (I'm a developer so I've got stuff your average Joe might not have), but at the end of the day my laptop has run fine for over a year and ZA comes along and suddenly I get all of this hassle (coincidence??).
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Arrgghh!!! Blue Screen on a reboot after I upgraded to 7... I'm running a mile from this App!!!

Hi!As far as I know BSOD are mostly related to: Spyware Doctor, Logitech devices (e.g. webcam), System Mechanics....Do you have any of these?Instant support provide this information in case of BSOD:"....There are several situations in which you may encounter a Blue Screen. Please refer to the situations below to resolve the issue.

Are you running Nero InCD?
    If you experience a BSOD or crash and are using Nero CD burning software InCD, please check the Nero site for an updated version of the software.

Are you running System Mechanic 7?
    If you experience a BSOD or crash and are using this program, this is a known issue that has been resolved by System Mechanic 7 developers. You need to uninstall ZoneAlarm, reboot, run the System Mechanic updater to get the fixed driver, then reinstall ZoneAlarm.

Are you using PeoplePC accelerator software?
    If so there is a known conflict. Disabling the accelerator software should resolve the problem while we work with PeoplePC to fix the conflict.

Are you running Spyware Doctor or Noadware?
    If so, this is a known issue that is being resolved by their developers. Check their website for an updated version.

If none of the above describes your issue ...
    We need you to send us some files. For detailed instructions, please click here. ..."
    Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pipexuser Guest

Default Re: Arrgghh!!! Blue Screen on a reboot after I upgraded to 7... I'm running a mile from this App!!!

Hello Fax,
    I have a LogiTech wireless mouse connected to it so perhaps that's the problem. It also has a built in Webcam (I don't know who makes it, I'll have a look tonight).
    However, as I mentioned in my original post I think I'll just give this a miss. My laptop is too important to me at the moment and I don't want to be experimenting with a fix here or a fix there. I know it's tough (as a developer) when you have to work with 3rd-party app's that don't play ball but hey, after 7 versions of this app I'd expect this stuff to be a little bit more hardened by now. After all, if I manage to get this thing working by updating several 3rd-party drivers etc.. what's to say that the next piece of hw/sw I connect to my machine won't bring this BSOD back?
    Thanks for the reply though,
    Cheers!

Hi!don't know if your mouse could be the culprit. The best is to contact ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform and report about it as explained in this document: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...bsodcrash.htmlAnyway, up to you to decide if you want or not to contact them...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information