Thread: Program Control Settings

louiserhk Guest

Default Program Control Settings

Checking the "help" feature for ZA, it states that the default for program control is Medium.
    The program control on my computer
    lists Maximum, Auto, Min and Off, but no medium.
    When I changed it to auto it states that it will switch to maxium in 21 days.

The reason I am asking is that yesterday after downloading Microsoft upgrades I had a problem using Internet Explorer.
    ZA gave an alert "Internet Explorer trying to launch C:/Program Files/Zone Labs/Zone A/zlclient.exe and I clicked on deny and everything went wrong.
    I realize now that I should have allowed it, but now confused about the Program Control feature.
    Any feed back on this would be appreciated.
    Louise

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Program Control Settings

Hi LOUISERHK, yep, should have 'allowed' on that alert for IE; usually after Microsoft Updates, and there are some changes of IE for example - it leaves your IE program settings with all ' ??? ' and opens a ZA alert - which you should 'allow' - some folks have automatic updating and are not 'there' - 'to allow' the ZA alert and then have a few issues with their IE connection. My recommendation for Microsoft Updates is Automatically Notify but let's you decide when to install the updates - that's the level just below full automatic updates; this gives you a little yellow shield in the system tray alerting to the updates - without installing them until &quot;you&quot; choose which and when to install - that's good.<hr>The new 'Maximum, Auto, Min,Off' is equivalent to the old wording - the old 'Medium' is now the new 'Auto' - which will automatically go to High after 21 days ( this is ZA's way to ensure the proper settings for many users who often forgot to move to High settings with old Medium scriptures. What's going on? - the old &quot;Help&quot; file wasn't edited=updated; while the new ZA 7x and website scriptures mention the new 'Maxi, auto, min.', the old &quot;Help&quot; file was not. I believe 'you' have had your new ZA 7x for some time and your a 'seasoned' user, you can return the program control feature to &quot;High&quot; the highest security level - Auto is for new beginners <hr>NaiveMelody NYC 8-21-07 - Midnight
    Train To Georgia - Gladys Knight &amp; The Pips

louiserhk Guest

Hi NaiveMelody, thank you for your response.
    I understand your explanation very well.
    One comment - I have had a computer for 9 years and
    ZA 7.0 since May 2007, and will never ever consider myself a 'seasoned user'!
    I am constantly having to get help through this forum or &quot;Smart Computing&quot; questions and answers to solve my problems.
    Really appreciate all the help I get from you and the other truly 'seasoned users'.
    Louise

naivemelody Guest

Louise, well I've just had my pc only for two years by July and that's it; with no computer training, background
    or education (and it shows). Well, live and learn, and
    do most things in moderation.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 8-23-07 - Take It To The Limit - The Eagles

Thread Information