Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZONE ALARM STEALING FOCUS!

tburns Guest

Default ZONE ALARM STEALING FOCUS!

WinXP Pro // Zone Alarm Security Suite ver 7.0.337.000
    When Zone Alarm scans or runs an update check or some other function it steal focus from open active windows.I am frequently typing - in a web browser or word doc or other doc when the window loses focus. this only happens when Zone Alarm is running so it isn't some other program. THIS **bleep**S!
    Any suggestions? is there a setting to stop this?
    thanks in advance for your replies.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

sensory Guest

Default Re: ZONE ALARM STEALING FOCUS!

I posted this problem a long while ago when I was getting annoyed at accidentally allowing or denying program permissions when program alerts decided to intrude on my typing. Some suggested Game Mode, but I don't know whether that stops the update window (I heard it doesn't and is a known issue).

Turn off automatic anti-virus and anti-spyware updates as well as the ZA update check (change to Manual).Gaming mode does suppress some prompts not these ones.The Vista version of ZA does do silent updates without that annoying prompt now.ANDI know you will ask me if the Windows 2000/XP version will updated with change ... there's no planned update of 7.0.337.000 I know of.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 06-16-2007 11:02 AM

isis Guest

Since there is no practical solution and there doesn't appear to be one in the works, you will need to make a decision on your software Firewall, A-V, and Spyware programs.
    Turning off automatic updates is certainly no solution for a piece of software that is so 'mission-critical'.
    You would think that it could at least CHECK for updates in the background, and only steal focus from all of your other apps if it actually needed to d/l an update. But no, it's every hour and you can't change that either!
    You may wish to consider whether you want to trust the entire security of your system to a company that would allow such an egregious and obvious flaw to be released. What other problems might be lurking in there that may not be quite so obvious?
    For me, the decision was a no-brainer. (I'm sure you can figure out
    how I decided to rectify the situation.)
    Isis

Hi!The bug was fixed in version 362Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

isis Guest

I am (was) using build 362.
    Isis

Hi!and it steals focus every hour? For me 362 has completely solved the stealing focus issue.If not for you, contact ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform and report the problem.Not sure why in your case you are still experiencing are you sure is ZA?Is it during games? If yes, are you using GAME MODE?Cheers,Fax

isis Guest

Yes, it continued to steal focus after a clean install of build 362.
    I didn't have 'software update' selected; just A-V & Spyware. Each hour, as it rudely interupted whatever I was doing, I could see the 'Up' arrow in the ZA icon in my system tray. (Manual software update checks indicated to me that 362 was the latest version.)
    I tried to stop it with TweakUI, but ZA ignored that setting and continued to do as it wished.
    And no, it wasn't during games; I've never played a game on a computer, as I don't have the time.
    As far as contacting ZA is concerned, I am too much of a realist for that!
    Thanks for your response, but it is now a moot issue. Thankfully, I had less than 2 months left on my subscription.
    Isis

You're welcome...Cheers,Fax

rawebb Guest

Sadly, there still appears to be no update to 337. There is talk about other builds that address the focus stealing issue but they must be beta or pre-release since ZA continues to report "[green checkmark] System Up to date".

I assume that if these other builds were indeed of release quality that they would be, well, released.

Quite honestly, I have really come to hate Zone Alarm for its hourly focus-stealing habits.

A hint to the corporate suits: having a product that causes your customers to curse at it several times a day, every day, is not good for business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information