Thread: A how to question

janetlee Guest

Default A how to question

Hi, I am just new to this so please have patience with me.

I have just bought ZoneAlarm Security Suite and really would like to choose manual updates as I am very good about updating programs daily.
    I have made this selection however the program
    will still run an update several times in an evening.
    Firstly, it slows down my system, secondly and most importantly when I am working online and trying to complete a timed exam it really slows down the system and halts my attempt at getting an exam done in the time allowed.

I realize I could just close down
    Zone Alarm but I do not want to that.
    Is there anyway that the system will just let me update when I want to?
    Perhaps I am missing something?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: A how to question

Dear JanetLee:

Click the Overview panel, Preferences tab, and in the Check for Updates section, enable, Manually. Now, when you want to check for updates, click the Check for Update button to the right in the same section.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

janetlee Guest

Thanks for your response WATCHER.
    I have done the steps you suggested but the program is still updating automatically.

As a matter of fact I have done this three times now and still it continues to update automatically.

I'm at a loss on what to do.
    Usually I would not care, but it is a real bother when you are trying to do something important and the system slows down because it is updating.
    Oh well, at least it updates that's certainly better than not.
    Guess I shouldn't be grumping about something that is doing
    good for me.
    I'll just back out and be quiet now!

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated.

watcher Guest

Dear JanetLee:

Since configuration for manual updating did not work, I must conclude that there is something wrong within the program or that it didn't install correctly the first time.
    Try this database reset method which will remove ALL your settings for ZAISS and you will have the default settings of a newly-installed program. First, disconnect from the Internet and shut down ZAISS by right clicking its icon in the Notification Area in the lower right of the Desktop(formerly the System Tray). Reboot into Safe Mode. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs. Delete all files with extensions .RDB, .ldb, and .tmp. If you deleted these to the Recycle Bin, empty that now. Reboot after this. Open ZAISS and reconfigure to your preferences including setting the program for manual updating. If that doesn't work, consider uninstalling, using ZAISS's own uninstaller off the Start menu, rebooting, and reinstalling. Be sure to shut down ZAISS before attempting uninstall.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

janetlee Guest

WATCHER, Thank you for your response.
    I am not so comfortable with computers to do what your first recommendation states so I may just go with the uninstall and then reinstalling.

Your help is very much appreciated and I will let you know how I make out.
    Thanks again.

Thread Information