Thread: Where is the setting to control whether new networks will default to the Internet or Trusted Zone.

wstern Guest

Default Where is the setting to control whether new networks will default to the Internet or Trusted Zone.

Hi,

Is there a setting in ZAISS 7.0.462 to control whether new networks default to the "Internet Zone" or the "Trusted Zone".
    The problem I'm having is that new networks are always defaulting to the Trusted zone, and I have to manually go into
    Firewall tab, Zone tab each time manually to change it from the Trusted Zone to the Internet zone. When I save the change,
    ZAISS 7 seems to forget it.

So ZAISS 7.0.462 seems to be putting new networks by default into the Trusted Zone.
    I'm hoping this isn't a bug in ZAISS 7.0.462, but instead is there a setting to tell ZAISS 7 that any new network it sees
    in the future should be automatically placed in the more secure "Internet Zone"?

Thanks,

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Where is the setting to control whether new networks will...

Dear wstern:

I have ZAPRO but ZAISS should behave the same way. By default, when a new network is detected, ZAISS should launch the Network Configuration Wizard and ask you what zone to place it in. ZAPRO's help file also states that the wizard uses IP addresses to determine whether to place the network in the Trusted or Internet zones. If it is a private network, it defaults to the Trusted zone. If a public network, it defaults to the Internet zone. If you cancel out of the wizard, the new network will be placed in the Internet zone, even if it is a private network. This behavior is controlled by the Advanced Settings dialog box. Click Firewall panel, Main tab, then click the Advanced button. The Advanced Settings dialog box displays. At the bottom, locate the Network Settings section, and the radio button for the 3rd option,
    Ask which Zone to place new networks in upon detection, is enabled by default. So, too, is the 4th option, a checkbox, for wireless networks. By enabling the 2nd option, Exclude networks from the Trusted Zone upon detection, you should bypass the Network Configuration Wizard and place all new networks in the Internet zone.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Default Re: Where is the setting to control whether new networks will...

Open the ZA > Firewall > Main > Advanced > Network Settings > select either the "Exclude networks from the Trusted Zone upon detection" or "Ask which Zone to place which Zone upon detection"
    I use the latter option with the extra "Automatically put new wireless networks in the Internet Zone" on the laptop.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information