Thread: ZASS blocks most programs

sylvianeo Guest

Default ZASS blocks most programs

Hello there.

I am using ZASS 7; I downloaded it 2 days ago. After yesterdays scheduled scan, ZA informed me I had 9 viruses on my computer. When I clicked on More info link, it linked me to Kaspersky Lab but the message read "We don't have information about that virus, Try your search again." However I deleted the files, they have been on my computer for a long time and ZA never before informed me they were malicious. After I deleted those files, I tried to access Internet with IE6. I got a warning screen that iexplorer is trying to take control over some files and spying on the keys I am typing etc. I clicked on Deny and checked the box Apply this settings to all suspicious activities etc. Well ever since I did that I do not have access to any files on my PC. When ZASS is running and
    I try to open Word, IE, MS Picture Viewer, BSPlayer
    or whatever document (excepts WMedia Player)
    I get a message

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

What should I do now? What happened and why I cannot use my programs while ZASS is running? If I
    shut
    down ZA everything works.

Thank you in advantage, You'd be of great help to me if you could tell me how to solve that problem.

P.S. I read the topic "Complete lock out of computer" and I did everything the Guru advised - run my PC in Safe Mode, found and deleted Internet logs folder etc. It helped only until next Deny click (see above). Now what should I click Accept when asked do I grant permission
    to IE?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by sylvianeo on 12-04-2007 11:44 AM

findley Guest

Default Re: ZASS blocks most programs

<blockquote><hr>sylvianeo wrote:

Hello there.

I am using ZASS 7; I downloaded it 2 days ago. After yesterdays scheduled scan, ZA informed me I had 9 viruses on my computer. When I clicked on More info link, it linked me to Kaspersky Lab but the message read &quot;We don't have information about that virus, Try your search again.&quot; However I deleted the files, they have been on my computer for a long time and ZA never before informed me they were malicious. After I deleted those files, I tried to access Internet with IE6. I got a warning screen that iexplorer is trying to take control over some files and spying on the keys I am typing etc. I clicked on Deny and checked the box Apply this settings to all suspicious activities etc. Well ever since I did that I do not have access to any files on my PC. When ZASS is running and
    I try to open Word, IE, MS Picture Viewer, BSPlayer
    or whatever document (excepts WMedia Player)
    I get a message

&quot;Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.&quot;

What should I do now? What happened and why I cannot use my programs while ZASS is running? If I
    shut
    down ZA everything works.

Thank you in advantage, You'd be of great help to me if you could tell me how to solve that problem.

P.S. I read the topic &quot;Complete lock out of computer&quot; and I did everything the Guru advised - run my PC in Safe Mode, found and deleted Internet logs folder etc. It helped only until next Deny click (see above). Now what should I click Accept when asked do I grant permission
    to IE?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by sylvianeo on 12-04-2007 11:44 AM
    <hr></blockquote>Welcome to the forum!
    Sounds like a corrupted database. To fix a corrupted database do this:Be aware by doing this, you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.
    1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Empty the recycle bin.
    5. Reboot into the normal mode.

Once database is reset you can start over.
    When asked about IE click allow, rather than deny.
    By denying you were denying yourself access hence the problems.
    The database reset should fix this.

Also you can control program access by going to the Program Control Tab Programs tab and configure your programs.
    Just my opinion, but its best to quarantine virus/spyware rather than delete.
    Why?
    There are on occassion false positives - so you don't want to delete a valid file/program.
    Best to quarantine; ZA will ask again in 90 days if you want to delete it or you can always go in manually and delete it or quarantine it indefinitely.
    This gives you the opportunity to check whether its malware or a false positive.
    Since your computer has been infected you may want to run some free online scanners and further check on your computer for infections/malware.
    No one program/security program catches everything.
    Free online scanners:http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/index.phpwww.ewido.netwww.housecall.trendmicro.com
    Regards,Findley

sylvianeo Guest

Thank you very much for your reply.

As I said in my previous post I did all that run in Safe mode, deleted Internet log files etc. Just I did not get a clean install. When I started my PC in normal mode the ZASS only asked me about new Internet connection it found. I chose Accept and put it in the Trusted zone. But there were no changes to the Programs control. All the programs were there and I needed no new configuration.

That problem with ZASS blocking all activities occur only when I check the box Apply this settings to all suspicious activities etc. When I don t check that box IE and all other programs work properly even when I click on Deny.

Now I have another question. ZASS claim no port scans can be done when it is active.

About Port Scans

Port scanning means using an automated tool to systematically try to connect to every port on a computer. While port scans have some legitimate uses, hackers use them to look for unprotected computers with unguarded ports, typically scanning random blocks of Internet addresses.

Successful port scans can retrieve a variety of information about a computer, such as its operating system and the programs it is running. Because you are using ZoneAlarm Security Suite, your computer remains invisible to port scans. Hackers performing scans do not even know your computer exists, because no information is returned by the scan.

But yesterday I visited a forum. One of the users had in his signature a gif a small creature holding a banner. And in that banner I could read my IP, my ISP, what operating system I am using and whether or not my hard drive needs defragmentation. Does this mean someone still can do port scan no matter I am using ZASS. It looks my PC does not remains invisible after all. I am asking about this not because I am too paranoiac but only because I am eager to learn.

First post:

Set the Program Control slider to Medium to get the ZA to learn the applications. If you wish, set the Component Control off and use the Medium slider setting, then after a few weeks restore the slider back to High.

Third post:

This is not a port scan. In fact no ports were scanned to make that little javascript appear and tell you your own IP. The ZA will always stealth ports from port scans. But the IP is a different story. Each and every web site or server you visit or use has your IP. Your PC gave the IP when it connected to the sites/servers and included your IP in the following sent packets.
    These sites and servers have to have your IP or else there would be no address to send the information.
    It is the way the internet works. Just as your PC found the IP for the site you visit, the site has your IP.
    That little javscript showing your IP is just that - a simple javscript showing your IP. No big deal or any kind of security risk is involved. The whole internet world has seen your public IP, but now the fact is made obvious to you, it now becomes an issue?

Always consider that the site you visit has several site counters and trackers, logging your IP and some PC information and reads the headers packets from your PC to see your past site visits or history, Plus the site's server has logged your visit. If cookies are involved, you are again identified.

You use google or msn or yahoo? You use web mail or search engines or clicked an avert or clicked a link in a page? Then you have been tracked by IP, by browser, by OS and probably some sort of personal information.

Your provider has logged your internet visits and internet useage.
    The servers of the internet backbone relaying your connections have recorded your internet useage.

Guess what. All the places and things have seen your IP and much more and none of these have performed any kind of port scan whatsoever.

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-07-2007 05:21 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

sylvianeo Guest

Hello.
    Thank you for your explanation but
    you didn't need to become rude. As I said I am not
    paranoiac, I was just asking. What's so bad about asking?

Sorry if I came accross as rude, then apologize. I needed to stress that it ws just seeing your IP and that itself is harmelss.s

This site showing your IP and advertising for a "free" disk fragmentation would be suspicious by nature. The image or script doinjg this is by itself harmless. But clicking on it and allowing it to install something could be hazzardly. It is very possible it would install some keylogger or troyan or rootkit or some kind of undesireable. Besides the windows can already defrag the disk with little effort. soem of these are harmless. But be aware- any one of these wanting to install or interact with the computer or needs your email or some personal/financial information/details is probably a trap!
    The same applies to sites stating you need to install a software or codec to watch the free videos. This is always malware. This is a trap.
    Or a site needing your email address to get some gifts or free videos- this is always bad, since you will get spammed to death.

Spam in the email is bad- just delete these without opening them. If you open these, they have a small hidden javascript that will report your email address and IP to the owner of this spam. It means opening spam just makes more spam.
    Never open attachments from strangers - it will have a worm or troyan or rootkit and infect your PC and your friends PC. Alway scan attachments before opening attachments from friends or associates.

You are using the ZAISS. So use it's Privacy to it's full advantage- block those javascripts and scripts and mime objects to prevent those possible infections and snoops. Once you do, you will not see those funny banners any morer with your IP showing and saying you need a defrag treatment.
    Block the ads and the third party cookies from strange sites. Much safer. Block the java and allow it only on safe and needed sites.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information