Thread: Configuring Updates

battousai Guest

Default Configuring Updates

I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0. It tries to update every single time I turn on my computer. When it does that, it slows my computer down extremely to the point that I can't even do anything till it finishes. Is there any way possible to configure Zone Alarm to just update once a week or once a month? I don't want to turn off updates or manually update it myself though.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Configuring Updates

Dear battousai:

I use ZAPRO but ZAISS is identical in the updating feature. There is no scheduler for this. What I do is turn off automatic updates for all programs on my computer that have it and once a week update them all. Some update quickly and some take over an hour to do the updates. I just do other things while checking back once in a while to check the progress.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

findley Guest

battousai wrote:"I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.0. It tries to update every single time I turn on my computer. When it does that, it slows my computer down extremely to the point that I can't even do anything till it finishes. Is there any way possible to configure Zone Alarm to just update once a week or once a month? I don't want to turn off updates or manually update it myself though.

Thanks.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the forum!

In the older version of ZASS the updates were done hourly - only other choice was manual updates. In the latest version of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite
    7.0.462.000 there is a new feature:

Set update frequency:

every hour

every 3 hours

every 6 hours

every 12 hours

every 24 hours

While it does not give the weekly or monthly update configuration capability you seek
    it provides more flexibility.
    Also, as a safety feature, just my opinion, frequent updates are important if you are on the web alot.
    I've gotten use to the updates and given the frequency of malware attacks out there I still do hourly updates on my ZASS even though I'm using the latest 7.0.462.000 version.
    If you are a frequent email person, that, in my opinion is another reason to let the hourly updates be performed, as so many emails may or may not contain malware.
    Frequent updates equal better security in my opinion.
    The only time I change to less frequent updates is downloading or doing something where I do not want the updates interrupting me, so I can easily click to 3, 6, 12, or 24 hours before the ZA updates kick in again.

Regards,

Findley

cioran Guest

Hello Findley, or anyone else interested in helping,
    I'd be quite interested in altering update frequency, as ZASS really can act as a cpu hog and halt whatever I'm doing - especially annoying if I'm recording on my DAW...
    I'm running 7.0.483.000 and I simply do not see the update frequency option on my GUI, nor is it listed in the help file.
    The only options I have are 'automatic' and 'manual', and those aren't options because ZASS cheerfully ignores the 'manual' setting and updates whenever it likes.
    Is there something I'm missing, or has ZASS been altered?
    MS have some compelling arguments for not logging onto a home pc as an admin, but if that's what it takes to halt an update process (killing it in procexp) I'm open to the possibility.
    All the best

cioran Guest

Took some searching, but I found an answer to my own question:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...id=57788#M9222
    Thanks for all the help...

Hi!
    that link refers to an old version..

You can check or change AV/AS update frequency under the advanced options of the antivirus/antispyware tab (look for updates). Can be set to 1 - 3 - 6 - 12 - 24 hours.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cioran Guest

Hi Fax,
    so I saw; what was important was that the 'Enable automatic...updates' boxes could be unchecked, leaving me with better control of what I want my system to be doing at any given time.
    All the best/cioran

Thread Information