Thread: ZA Pro Setting Conflict With MS IE 7

kingharry Guest

Default ZA Pro Setting Conflict With MS IE 7

After installing a security update from Microsoft (KB 942615, IE 7 security update) I began having problems printing directly from inside IE as well as failure to download and print a PDF using Adobe Acrobat v8.1.1. After detailed discussions and thorough support from Microsoft professionals it appears that the problem is within Zone Alarm Pro. When Program Control is set to Medium and Smart Defense Advisor is set to AUTO
    the printing problem occurs. Change the Program Control setting to LOW or OFF (which turns Smart Defense Advisor to OFF) and the printing problem goes away.
    Is there a fix for this ZAPro conflict???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro Setting Conflict With MS IE 7

Dear kingharry:

I have ZAPRO(with Program Control on High and SmartDefense Advisor on Auto), IE6, and Adobe Acrobat Reader(AAR) v.8.1.1. I can print from them. IE6 had a critical update from Windows Update site as well, recently, which I also downloaded and installed. Then there was a news story stating that this update caused IE to malfunction on some computers and Microsoft posted a fix to the original patch. However, no mention was made of printing problems.

Have you tried this? Open IE7, click the File menu, then click Print, and, in the Print dialog box, make sure your printer is selected and has the default printer icon(a checkmark) next to it in the Select Printer section. For AAR 8.1.1, click File menu, then Print command, and, in the Print dialog box, Printer section, make sure your printer is listed there.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

kingharry Guest

Watcher: Thanks for the response. All steps that you suggested were done very early on in the process of identifying the reason for the non-print situation. I worked with 5 different Microsoft VPs and professional IE7 team members. Also worked for 1 1/2 hours straight
    with a highly competent MS consultant. It was working with him and a long process of elimination that we discovered that the problem was with ZAPro and the settings I mentioned in my original posting. There does not appear to be a problem with IE 6. There is definitely one with IE 7.

watcher Guest

Dear kingharry:

Got it. I would next try removing the program permissions for all the executables used by your printer. To do this, click Program Control, Programs tab, and locate each executable used for printing. Right click each one, then click Remove. Try printing now and you should see some pop-up alerts prompting you for what to do, Allow or Deny.

If the above does not work, you could try a database reset.
    This removes ALL your customized settings and returns ZAPRO to its default settings.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

kingharry Guest

Watcher: Well done, my friend. I removed some of the program permission (those relating to Adobe Acrobat and Epson) and I can now print as I wish. Many thanks.

Thread Information