Thread: MSN Live Messenger connection blocked by Zone Alarm

ivanparker Guest

Default MSN Live Messenger connection blocked by Zone Alarm

When I launch MSN Live Messenger, it logs in and my "online contacts" are visible. However, as soon as I click even the mouse (not typing) into the "send" text box, my connection is broken with a MSN Live Messenger Message "You cannot send a message because you are not signed in." Obviouisly, at this point I am suddenly no longer signed in.
    I have entered the MSN Live Messenger "Login URL" into the ZA "Trusted Zone" (https://Login.live.com) and told ZA to allow it to run "mobile code", "Session", "Persistent" & "Third Party" Session Cookies.
    But still, as soon as I click in the "sending window / box" of MSN Live Messenger for any of my "Online Contacts" it immediately states "You cannot send a message because you are not signed in." and promptly disconnents my session and just as promptly reconnects it.
    If I turn off Zone Alarm the problem goes away completely. Now MSN was working up until recently, it is not something I use every week, so could not say how many ZA updates have ocurred since MSN was last working.
    I was running Messenger 8.1 but have tonight upgraded to 8.5 just in case this fixed the problem, but no change at all.
    This is obviously a known problem with Zone Alarm as I have noted a number of ZA users with similar problems so how come a company with a reputation as big as CheckPoint are not even admitting there is an issue with their software.
    I sell Checkpoint to many large corporations and only started using ZA at the recommendation of my Checkpoint sales person, ummmmm .... perhaps I have been a bit gullable there ?
    Zone Alarm v7.0.462.000True Vector Security Engine v7.0.462.000Driver version v7.;0.462.000Antivirus Engine 3, DAT File version 945960002Anti Spyware Engine verison 5.0.189.0, DAT File version 01,200802.3415Anti Spam version 5.0.6.8903
    Windows XP SP2, ALL latest MS Windows Updates applied.
    Any comments from Checkpoint Support Staff .......... ?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: MSN Live Messenger connection blocked by Zone Alarm

Hi!ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users here.You should contact ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsformRunning ZASS 7 and have no problems with MSN live messenger nor with hotmail/live mail.Must be some wrong settings on your system...Either you slowly check allsettings. DNS/DHCP IPs set as trusted, Trusted zone set to medium, IMsecurity, ZA privacy control settings for live website.. etc.It can be a wrong settings in any of these.... or corrupted ZA settings.The best and cleanestsolution would be to start fresh by resetting your ZA databases (and do not restore old ones). This way:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootAlso check this page on how to troubleshoot privacy problems.http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.htmlHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ivanparker Guest

Thanks for the advice.I reset the ZA database settings as you suggested, and this not only got Messenger working again, but through resetting the Db,
    overall performance seems to have improved as well.

Great!
    Thank you for taking the time to report back...

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information