Thread: Computer in LAN is blocked by ZA from Internet

vitaaliy Guest

Default Computer in LAN is blocked by ZA from Internet

I have the LAN of W2K SP4 + XP Pro. The later has Ethernet connection with ISP. There I installed ZA 7.0.462.000 Free. Of course, W2K comp (192.168.0.14) is declared as being in trusted zone, but should have Internet connection through XP (ICS, 192.168.0.1). I used Network setup wizards to organize connections on both computers. IP addresses and DNS were assigned automatically. As a result, W2K comp is blocked from accessing Internet. LAN access from it to XP works normally. When I shutdown ZA everything works fine: W2K works with Internet not worse than the main XP comp. I understand that ZA blocks connection from my LAN to Internet, though when I open Firewall/Main/Advance settings, I see only the short list of general settings and nothing from ICS options... Where to they had gone?
    What do you think about uninstalling this ZA and using Win XP native firewall? It is too weak, I afraid... Any bright ideas?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Computer in LAN is blocked by ZA from Internet

From HELP (I think first paragraph addresses what you asked):
    "Enabling Internet Connection Sharing
    If you are using Windows' Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) option, or a third-party connection sharing program, you can protect all of the computers that share the connection from inbound threats by installing ZoneAlarm security software on the gateway machine only. However, to receive outbound protection, or to see alerts on the client machines, you must have ZoneAlarm security software installed on the client machines as well.

Before you configure ZoneAlarm security software, use your ICS software to set up the gateway and client relationships. If you use hardware such as a router to share your Internet connection rather than Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), ensure that the local subnet is in the Trusted Zone."

"To set Internet Connection Sharing preferences:

Select Firewall|Main.
    Click Advanced.
    In the Internet Connection Sharing area, choose your security settings.
    This computer is not on an ICS/NAT network Internet Connection sharing is disabled.

This is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway running ZoneAlarm security software ZoneAlarm security software automatically detects the IP address of the ICS gateway and displays it in the Gateway Address field. You also can type the IP address into the Gateway address field.
    Selecting Forward alerts from gateway to this computer will log and display alerts on the client computer that occur on the gateway.

This computer is an ICS/NAT gateway ZoneAlarm security software automatically detects the IP address of the ICS gateway and displays it in the Local Address field. You also can type the IP address into the Gateway address field.

Selecting Suppress alerts locally if forwarded to clients, will suppress alerts forwarded from the gateway to clients to also be displayed on the gateway.

Click OK."

What is your version 5? of ZA?

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 03-15-2008 09:52 PM

vitaaliy Guest

Noooo... I have ZA 7.0.462.000 Free on the Internet XP gate machine. And of course, I have read that help, but, as I have said, -

when I open Firewall/Main/Advance settings, I see only the short list of general settings and nothing from ICS options... Where to they had gone?

It's been a while since I ran a ZA free, could you describe or list what the exact options in that field?

Is the Trusted Zone Security slider set to Medium?

Is the IP of the gateway PC set as Trusted in the Zones of the client PC?

Is the IP of the client PC set as Trsued in the Zones of the gateway PC?

Are the DHCP and the DNS servers IPs set as Trusted in the Zones of both PC?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

vitaaliy Guest

Hi, Oldsod,

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    It's been a while since I ran a ZA free, could you describe or list what the exact options in that field?

Sure...
    Advanced settings: http://i027.radikal.ru/0803/1a/85cd7c3ee371.png
    IP addresses: http://i003.radikal.ru/0803/36/9457670ec0e2.png

Answers to your questions are evident from here. How can I run the Configuration Wizard? It runs only once during the ZA installation... Most important advanced settings are missing. And local PC Pluto has normal access to Internet when ZA is shut down..

Oldsod.
    <hr></blockquote>

Best regards!
    Vitaliy

<hr>
    Answers to your questions are evident from here. How can I run the Configuration Wizard? It runs only once during the ZA installation... Most important advanced settings are missing. And local PC Pluto has normal access to Internet when ZA is shut down.
    Best regards!
    Vitaliy
    <hr>

<center>
    Why is the Compaq NC3121 set as Internet?I do not see any DNS server listed in the Zones?</br></center>

Network Wizard will only appear if the network has changed from before (laptop/PC is setup in a new LAN) or if the ZA database has been reset. Or if the ZA is freshly installed or upgraded.

<center>This seems to okay</center>

PC Pluto has the gateway IP added as Trusted along with the dns and dhcp server entered as trusted in it's firewall?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-16-2008 10:12 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

vitaaliy Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    <hr>
    Answers to your questions are evident from here. How can I run the Configuration Wizard? It runs only once during the ZA installation... Most important advanced settings are missing. And local PC Pluto has normal access to Internet when ZA is shut down.
    Best regards!
    Vitaliy
    <hr>

<center>
    Why is the Compaq NC3121 set as Internet?
    - Because it is the Ethernet gate to our ISP - the method of implementing permanent connection to Internet.
    I do not see any DNS server listed in the Zones?
    - Really, we use our provider's DNS: 192.168.11.1. I inserted the corresponding line here, but when I ran Network setup wizard on the gating PC (XP Pro) - it removed that line.
    </center>

Network Wizard will only appear if the network has changed from before (laptop/PC is setup in a new LAN) or if the ZA database has been reset. Or if the ZA is freshly installed or upgraded.

<center>This seems to okay</center>

- Well... But there should be much more parameters for adjusting LAN and WAN settings...
    PC Pluto has the gateway IP added as Trusted along with the dns and dhcp server entered as trusted in it's firewall?

Oldsod

- Yes
    Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-16-2008 10:12 AM
    <hr></blockquote>

Please set the Compaq NC3121 to Trusted instead of Internet. Yes it is a gateway, but it is a private network and therefore not internet. Then reboot and see if it improves.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information