Thread: Program "allow" cuts out my internet connection

alkemy Guest

Default Program "allow" cuts out my internet connection

Hi all! New to forum so please be gentle!
    Right. System info: Windows XP SP2
    Firefox 2 as default browser
    Zonealarm free firewall V.7.0.462.000 Auto Lock OFF

In the ZA Program Control page I've set some of my programs to the blue ticked "ask" mode, mainly so I can control as and when they have internet access, e.g for updates. Typical programs I've set like this are Ad-Aware, Adobe Updater, Apple Software, iTunes, and others.
    Until recently this has worked well: when I wanted to check for program updates manually or automatically the ZA alert flag appeared and I would, if necessary, tick the "allow" box permitting the relevant program access to the relevant site.

Lately, and for no obvious reason, each time the ZA alert pops up and I tick " allow" my internet connection cuts out and I have to reconnect.I've double checked the program permits and they still have the "?" ask settings, so why am I getting cut out when I OK the request?
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Program "allow" cuts out my internet connection

Which antivirus are you using?

The windows firewall is off in both the Control Panel and in the Services?

The Ad-Aware is the free version or the version with Ad-Watch?

Any other full time antispyware scanners/guards installed?

What kind of network is involved? Like a modem (dsl or cable) or dialup or is there a router involved?

Any previous firewall or antivirus uninstalled recently?

What is exactly meant by the " my internet connection cuts out and I have to reconnect"? Is this a complete reboot to fix this or another attempt of some sort? Is this occuring in the browser or the email client or for the updaters?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alkemy Guest

Hello Oldsod.
    Thanks for the reply - sorry coudn't get back to you earlier. In answer to your queries:

Using AVG Free antivirus - updated daily.

Ad-Aware free - without the Ad-Watch

Spybot S&D v.1.5. (I'm not using the teatimer function but do immunise every week).

Windows Defender.

Broadband ADSL modem.(Every time I open up the computer after a complete shutdown I have to click on an "adsl dial" box which registers my broadband internet connection with my ISP,I then click on my browser as usual. It is the dial box which reappears during the problem I mentioned, effectively signalling that I have lost internet connection - ie no browsing, e-mail,- nothing. Unless I click on it again (which I shouldn't have to do)I can't go any further and whatever webpage I happen to be on at the time just freezes until I do reclick. Just to reiterate, this cutting out issue only happens during a manual or auto update for certain applications like the ones I mentioned.It never happens with MS or security program updates.

No previous firewall - been using ZA for two years and this is the first issue I've had with it. Same with AVG Free - trusted it for two years.

Last thing Oldsod - Windows Firewall off in Control Panel but showing as Automatic in Services.( I think it always has but no previous problems with this.
    Hope this helps!
    Cheers
    ALKEMY

Either the modem is at fault or the ZA.
    Lets start with the ZA and see if things get better.
    Do this to reset the ZA database and start it over:
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Then when the New Network window appears after the reboot, set the Network To Trusted, not Internet.

Then make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

See if this works for you and makes any difference.

Cheers, Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alkemy Guest

Phew! That all looks a bit heavy for me Oldsod! Would it not be as easy to just uninstall and reinstall ZA. I know I would need to "retrain" the system.. but!!

(I don't think the problems with my modem though, otherwise I'd expect other problems to occur).

Cheers
    ALKEMY

The first half of the previous post's suggestion will make the ZA just as when it was first installed and the uninstall/reinstallation procedure can be avoided.

The second half is more imtimidating but is easy enough to follow , just take it one step at a time.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

alkemy Guest

Thanks Oldsod. I'll give it a try when I return from my hols and I can get a computer savvy mate to sit with me.
    Ta
    ALKEMY

alkemy Guest

Hello Oldsod
    Ref: my "internet cutting out" problem. It seems it may not necessarily have been a problem with ZA after all but something in the program I was trying to manually update e.g Adobe Reader. Whenever I tried to update it manually my internet connection cut out because it seemed I hadn't configured the particular program itself for auto connection to receive the updates.Although I'd never had to configure this before as soon as I did my internet conection stayed "live" and I don't seem to be suffering connection disruptions anymore (fingers crossed).
    Don't know if this makes any sense to you but must thank you very much anyway for your time and advice.
    Cheers
    ALKEMY

Sometimes using the "Low" setting for the ZA Program Control slider helps. It gets the ZA trained. Then resume the Medium or High setting after a few weeks.
    If the Adobe updater failes, then delete the application in the ZA Program listing, close the ZA and then restart the ZA and then open the Adobe and try an update.
    Sometimes it is an old file stuck in the ZA database - removing the old file and letting the new file get acquainted with the ZA does the trick.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information