Thread: Flash Drive: Disabled by Zone Alarm 7.0.470.000 Update

petergoode Guest

Default Flash Drive: Disabled by Zone Alarm 7.0.470.000 Update

There is never a dull moment when it
    comes to upgrades.
    I have one particular flash drive (Simpletech 512 MB P/N 90000-600003-002) that suddenly failed to work on my laptop.
    Explorer recognized the drive, but none of the folders appeared.
    All of my other flash drives worked perfectly in the laptop, and this flash drive worked perfectly in all other PC's.
    After some back and forth with tech support at ZA, it was suggested that I temporarily disable On-Access scanning in the Advanced Options of anti-virus...and indeed, the drive worked.
    I just upgraded ZA on my desktop PC (Windows XP on both systems, by the way), and now the drive also fails to work on that PC, but DOES work after temporarily disabling On-Access scanning.
    Just wanted to save someone else some troubleshooting time if they happen to encounter a similar problem...the person at tech support promised to bump up the issue to those in product development, but I'm not expecting any further answers...maybe the next upgrade will address it...merely for intellectual reasons, I'd be most interested in understanding why just one flash drive has this issue.
    pg

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Flash Drive: Disabled by Zone Alarm 7.0.470.000 Update

Tried updating the driver in the Device Management?

Computer Management | Device Manager | Open the View in the toolbar and select "Show hidden devices | open the Storage Volumes and right click each listed entry and select Update.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

It seems the problem is reproducible for this one single flash drive on any of the three PC's to which I installed the latest ZA Security Suite update.
    So, I will just disable the onaccess screening when I use it, then turn that feature back on....my drivers are all as up do date as they can be.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    pg

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>petergoode wrote:
    It seems the problem is reproducible for this one single flash drive on any of the three PC's to which I installed the latest ZA Security Suite update.So, I will just disable the onaccess screening when I use it, then turn that feature back on....my drivers are all as up do date as they can be.Thanks for the suggestion.pg
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thank you for your Feedback..If the problem is Reproducable.. That is Good..Please report the Details of your problem and type of Flasgh drive directly to ZA Tech Support for Free at www.zonealarm.com/tsformso that you details will help Tech Support find the problem in the code and fix it..Please use MS IE to submit your Report as the HTML Code for the Submit Button on the web-page does not work well with FireFox..When you click the Submit Button an Auto-Generated Confirmation Email with your Case Number will be sent within an Hour or so and a Responce from Tech Support ASAP..If you don't get the Confirmation Email, Please check your Spam/Junkmail Folder, and if need be Try again and Resubmit your Request to Tech Support..and Please Keep us Posted on you Progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949334674Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3735
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

petergoode Guest

The &quot;secret&quot; to allowing the drive to work was provided by one of ZA's tech support staff, who promised he would bump up the question to the programmers...I have not heard anything back, and probably won't, but maybe a next update can address it.
    I would be fascinated to understand the mechanism by which one flash drive works and another is blocked, since I would have assumed that all flash drives are just memory units...just for kicks, I deleted all files from the flash drive in question, and it still would not work, so it was not an issue with the actual content on the drive.
    If I ever do hear anything further, I'd be happy to forward the info.
    pg

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>petergoode wrote:
    The "secret" to allowing the drive to work was provided by one of ZA's tech support staff, who promised he would bump up the question to the programmers...I have not heard anything back, and probably won't, but maybe a next update can address it. I would be fascinated to understand the mechanism by which one flash drive works and another is blocked, since I would have assumed that all flash drives are just memory units...just for kicks, I deleted all files from the flash drive in question, and it still would not work, so it was not an issue with the actual content on the drive.If I ever do hear anything further, I'd be happy to forward the info.pg
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks ,It is contributions like yours that helps Programers improve the product..Keep us posted if you hear back from them..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information