Thread: ServU FTP Server Blocked

Hybrid View

petergoode Guest

Default ServU FTP Server Blocked

I have installed ServU FTP Server on an XP Pro system...and note that ZA Internet Suite 7.0 keeps turning the server offline.
    If I disable ZA, the server goes on line and stays there.
    I tried to address this via changing the program control settings for its main components, ServU administrator, servudaemon.exe, servutray.exe to super trusted, but each time I try to get the server online, ZA takes it off line.
    Does anyone here know any specific ZA setting tweaks I additionally have to do?
    Thanks for any suggestions...or maybe I have to address this with RhinoSoft, who makes ServU.
    pg

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

petergoode Guest

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked

I forgot to mention, I see a little red "D" in one of the programs abovelisted, despite my tweaks in program control to "supertrusted"...maybe that is a clue.
    pg

wipa Guest

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked - SOLUTION (tested and working)

Hi, wanted to post a solution, that helped me to get ZoneAlarm stop blocking Serv-U (v6.4.0.6)
    -removed all 3: Serv-U FTP Administrator, Serv-U FTP Server and Serv-U System Tray Status Program from Zone Alarm's program list.
    -Shutdown ZoneAlarm and restarted it.
    -Added all 3 manually to program list by Add button , then edited all 3 : first marked them Trust Level to Super, checked all to Allow (Access, Server, Trusted, Internet), right-clicked all 3 one by one chose Options, and on Security tab checked "This program may use other programs to access internet", "Allow Application Interaction", "Authenticate Components", "Authenticate program by path name only", applied all settings, and
    -shutdown ZA and restarted it, and launched Serv-U : NO MORE BLOCKING BY ZA. And, my program control is set to "Max." Smart Defence Advisor is set to "Auto".

Wanted to share this if someone still has problems with Serv-u v6.x.x and Zonealarm.

Oh and my version of Zonealarm is : ZoneAlarm Security Suite v7.1.248.000
    and my OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
    My version of Serv-U is Rhinosoft Serv-U FTP Server Daemon v6.4.0.6 Standard.

Message Edited by wipa on 05-01-2008 05:53 AM

petergoode Guest

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked - SOLUTION (tested and working)

Wow, you obviously put a lot of effort into this, thanks!
    For now, I took an easier road in absence of a better solution, and am running FileZilla without problem.
    Thanks again for finding an actual work-around!
    pg

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>petergoode wrote:
    I have installed ServU FTP Server on an XP Pro system...and note that ZA Internet Suite 7.0 keeps turning the server offline. If I disable ZA, the server goes on line and stays there.I tried to address this via changing the program control settings for its main components, ServU administrator, servudaemon.exe, servutray.exe to super trusted, but each time I try to get the server online, ZA takes it off line.Does anyone here know any specific ZA setting tweaks I additionally have to do?Thanks for any suggestions...or maybe I have to address this with RhinoSoft, who makes ServU.pg

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have RemoteAdmin Ver. 3.1 installed on both my WinXP Sp2 with ZASS 7.0.470.000 and my Vista Home Premium with ZAP 7.1.248.000 with no problems.. I see no little "D" in my listing..Here is my Program Listing..Radmin Component Custom - 3 Bars - 4 Green Check Marks.. X for Send mailRadmin Component Auto - 3 Bars - 4 Green Check Marks.. X for Send mailRadminServer Auto - 3 Bars - 4 Green Check Marks.. X for Send mailRadminViewer Auto - 3 Bars - 4 Green Check Marks.. X for Send mail--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000

TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949334674Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3735
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 04-21-2008 08:06 PM

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 04-21-2008 09:03 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

petergoode Guest

I am wondering if I have bad ZA karma, tech support is trying to work with me on this one too..first they had me work on firewall: internet zone security: custom: trusted and internet zones, and OK'd tcp/udp via ports 20-21, the ones used by Serv-U...that did not solve the problem...then they have had me remove all programs with red check marks in access and server...and STILL it blocks my ftp server software...btw, there is no question that ZA is somehow the culprit, since when I disable it, the ftp server software works...if I can get this one solved, I will post again...I must say, I am not a fan of software tweaking, but guess if one wants to do more than just surf the net and read email, this is what happens!
    pg

<blockquote><hr>petergoode wrote:
    I am wondering if I have bad ZA karma, tech support is trying to work with me on this one too..first they had me work on firewall: internet zone security: custom: trusted and internet zones, and OK'd tcp/udp via ports 20-21, the ones used by Serv-U...that did not solve the problem...then they have had me remove all programs with red check marks in access and server...and STILL it blocks my ftp server software...btw, there is no question that ZA is somehow the culprit, since when I disable it, the ftp server software works...if I can get this one solved, I will post again...I must say, I am not a fan of software tweaking, but guess if one wants to do more than just surf the net and read email, this is what happens!
    pg
    <hr></blockquote>
    Open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Advanced| and uncheck the "Block trusted servers" and the "Block Internet servers". OK the Advanced Setting window.

Open the ZA | Programs | Main | Custom|open the OSFirewall tab and set the "Change which programs load at startup" to either Ask or the Default.

If the server which is being uploaded using the FTP is safe and non-risk, then add it's IP as Trusted in the Zones.

As for the ports, open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Custom| and allow the Incoming TCP port 20 and allow the Outgoing TCP port 21.

Next, if using a router with a harware firewall or a modem with a hardware firewall, then either open the TCP ports 20 and 21 or forward these ports.

Also check the Firewall logs in the Log Viewer for blocked activity.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

Thanks so much for the nice list of options to try.
    Here is the result:
    (MY COMMENTS IN CAPS, NOT YELLING, JUST FOR DIFFERENTIATION...&lt;G&gt

Open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Advanced| and uncheck the &quot;Block trusted servers&quot; and the &quot;Block Internet servers&quot;. OK the Advanced Setting window.

THESE TWO WERE ALREADY UNCHECKED

Open the ZA | Programs | Main | Custom|open the OSFirewall tab and set the &quot;Change which programs load at startup&quot; to either Ask or the Default.
    I LEFT IT AT DEFAULT

If the server which is being uploaded using the FTP is safe and non-risk, then add it's IP as Trusted in the Zones.
    THE IP FOR THE SERVER IS ALREADY LISTED

As for the ports, open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Custom| and allow the Incoming TCP port 20 and allow the Outgoing TCP port 21.
    THESE PORTS WERE ALREADY LISTED AS ALLOWED
    Next, if using a router with a harware firewall or a modem with a hardware firewall, then either open the TCP ports 20 and 21 or forward these ports.
    I CONSIDERED THE POSSIBILITY OF A ROUTER PROBLEM, BUT GIVEN THE FACT THAT SERV-U WORKS WHEN ZA IS OFF, AND I DO PORT FORWARD THROUGH MY ROUTER (HAVE DONE SO FOR YEARS WITH THE OLD SYSTEM ON WHICH I USED TO RUN SERV-U), I THINK IT IS CLEARLY AN ISSUE WITH ZA SETTINGS

Also check the Firewall logs in the Log Viewer for blocked activity
    THE LOG DOES NOT SHOW ANY BLOCKED ACTIVITY
    I have another email in to tech support with the updated things I have tried...hope it's just something obvious I have not yet dealt with, I am running ZA Internet Suite on three other PC's, and am not anxious to start a learning curve with another vendor's software!
    Thanks again for the suggestions!
    pg

Trusted Security Zone slider is at the Medium setting?

The dns servers are getting connected by the ftp?

Set the Alerts Events, Event Logging and the Program Logging to the Highest setting. In the Log Viewer, change the Show last to a very high value such as 999 and change the Archive logs text files to a higher value instead of the default. Now watch the logs for the Program, Firewall and OSFirewall

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-22-2008 11:14 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information